• Breaking News

    Monday, March 9, 2020

    Home security: What is your personal protocol for if someone breaks into your house?

    Home security: What is your personal protocol for if someone breaks into your house?


    What is your personal protocol for if someone breaks into your house?

    Posted: 09 Mar 2020 12:24 AM PDT

    Hi what's your standard thing to do if someone breaks in? How do they usually do it? Break a window? Kick the door down? Do you have an escape ladder? What would you do if they have a gun?

    (I ask because my mother has threatened twice to "break down my door" and has uttered two death threats. The chance she will attempt is high even though I will soon try to get a restraining order, because she is also suicidal, and I'm taking her word for it)

    Thanks in advance for any comments.

    submitted by /u/BlueRazberry7
    [link] [comments]

    Wider angle outdoor cameras? Analog...

    Posted: 08 Mar 2020 06:12 PM PDT

    I have a currently running system with oldish analog cameras. First alert something (CM700 I beleive). Anyway, looking to replace one of the outdoor ones with something with a wider angle lens. Currently faces the double wide driveway and only shows parts of the vehicles not all of them. I'm thinking something like 140 degree viewing angle is needed? I'm guessing the current ones are 85-90 degree? Can't seem to find specs on them

    At some point I want to upgrade the whole system but for now money isn't available for that big of a change. Just the one swap.

    Thoughts on a cheaper camera with a wider angle lens? Not looking to break the bank, and also completely understand that wider angle means less quality with older analog technology.

    submitted by /u/pacman5n325
    [link] [comments]

    Recommendation for camera - macro/small subjects, up close

    Posted: 08 Mar 2020 01:44 PM PDT

    Not exactly security this time... I love my security cameras, but now the need is slightly different. I have one on a bee hive. The resolution and quality are simply not enough. I want to see the bees up close and personal. I'll need a camera that can withstand the outdoors (winter and summer), runs on 12V DC, and uses ethernet (no wifi). I am looking for very close focusing distance and high quality for viewing the honey bees as they leave and enter the hive. Any suggestions? Thanks!

    submitted by /u/Arristotelis
    [link] [comments]

    Replacing blackout blinds for regular curtains?

    Posted: 08 Mar 2020 04:50 AM PDT

    Our home has blackout curtains on the front living room window, which is the only window on the front of our home. So, from the outside, when they're down, no light shines through. To me, it seems to give off a "nobody's home" vibe. Am I best off replacing these with something that will show if a light is on inside?

    Details: We live in a corner lot in a nice development that seems to regularly have Ring reports of people going through unlocked cars at night.

    submitted by /u/IShouldBCleaning
    [link] [comments]

    I bought a house with an alarm system that I don't want to use (pictures inside). How do I fully disable it?

    Posted: 08 Mar 2020 07:47 AM PDT

    Imgur album here. The fourth picture is I think the power source to the alarm, but I'm not 100% sure - it might be to a booster for the internet/cable.

    We don't use this alarm, and when we have even momentary power outages (frequent here in Florida), it beeps loudly about once a minute until it's reset, which is a real pain in the ass when we have overnight outages, especially as the beeps sound like our front door keypad, making us think someone is trying to get into the house until we're awake enough to realise it's the alarm.

    Any suggestions on how to permanently disable it would be appreciated. We'll leave it there in case the next homeowner wants it.

    submitted by /u/InternetWeakGuy
    [link] [comments]

    French door security

    Posted: 08 Mar 2020 06:02 AM PDT

    Using a throwaway mostly to ease my own paranoia.

    I bought a house recently that has all French doors as exterior doors. Maybe this is a given but just to clarify, it's all glass pane from top to bottom not the type that are only glass the top half and solid the bottom. I don't know what idiot decided on this but alas. Anyway, I live in a somewhat remote place and the person who built the house I think used it more as a vacation home but I live here full time. Very low crime rate etc. but at the same time pretty much no cell service which also sucks.

    I have a security system, video doorbell, and cameras inside and out. But what keeps me up at night is knowing how stupid easy it would be to break one pane of glass and unlock the door and waltz right into the house. At this time, replacing the doors just isn't an option. I currently don't have any blinds on the doors which I know is a good first step which I plan to do within the next few weeks. I saw those nightlock things but it would be quite easy to break the bottom panes and just slip it off.

    Any suggestions whether major or minor are greatly appreciated. For the record I've never had any signs of a break in or attempted break in but I don't want to be a sitting duck.

    submitted by /u/theworst90
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment