• Breaking News

    Wednesday, February 3, 2021

    Home security: WD Purple Drive or Seagate Skyhawk

    Home security: WD Purple Drive or Seagate Skyhawk


    WD Purple Drive or Seagate Skyhawk

    Posted: 02 Feb 2021 07:20 PM PST

    The 2 TB Purple Drive HDD that came with my Laview NVR died. Wonder if I should go with the Skyhawk and see or just stick with the Purple Drive. The Purple Drive has 10k reviews on Amazon vs Skyhawk 2k reviews. Thanks for the help

    submitted by /u/quangvo1
    [link] [comments]

    Home Security System Options - Re-use ADT or start fresh

    Posted: 02 Feb 2021 08:15 PM PST

    A bit of background. Bought a new build (post-construction) 5 years ago and got sold on an ADT system. I've finally had enough of paying $50/month for monitoring so my cancellation has been submitted. I am now looking for advice on how to proceed with my security system.

    I already run Home Assistant and currently have several WiFi light switches and plugs, Google Homes and exterior POE/network/non-cloud security cameras running. Future upgrades to include a smart thermostat, smart locks and a doorbell camera (again POE/network/non-cloud)

    As I see it, there are 2 options:

    1. Recycle my existing ADT Safewatch Pro 3000 system with a Vista 20p. From what I've read it is a decent system.I have 2 control panels (wired) , 3 door sensors (wireless), 3 motion sensors (mix) and a smoke detector (wireless). Some pictures of the gear: https://imgur.com/a/oHLchGf

    Pros:

    Cost savings to re-use existing gear. ADT equipment has been very reliable.

    All zones and modes are already set up and running.

    Cons:

    I do not have the installer code nor have I tried to reset it - I will try once my contract expires in another 2 weeks.

    Will need to interface with my network - would purchase an EnvisaLink module

    Will need to learn about programming ADT systems. (could be a Pro too!)

    Unknowns:

    Ease of adding new sensors? I am not sure what protocol my current sensors run but I'm guessing it is proprietary. I think the ADT Tuxedo panel has Z-Wave?

    If I cannot reset the Installer code (via power cycle * + # method) am I hooped?

    Do I need to purchase a generic PROM to replace the ADT PROM on the Vista 20p?

    Can I program the system from the Tuxedo panel? Or do I need to invest a Honeywell 6160? I believe the 6150 is adequate to reset the installer code.

    1. I can start from scratch

    I've seen numerous posts and sites of people installing their own Z-Wave based systems

    Pros:

    Clean install running on a platform where I am familiar but will be pushing my Home Assistant skills.

    Can install an integrated touch panel (Android?) for all devices linked to Home Assistant.

    Will require a Z-Wave hub that can be used for other purposes and the more Z-Wave devices you have appear to provide better coverage.

    Cons:

    Cost of purchasing new sensors and associated gear (and generating more e-waste)

    Will require more tinkering to get it set up as expected (and possibly some false alarms)

    Unknowns:

    Is there a market to resell my old ADT gear to offset the startup costs?

    I'm leaning towards keeping the ADT system if I can get past the installer code issue. What other considerations should I have? What am I not thinking about? What would you do?

    submitted by /u/algaen
    [link] [comments]

    Crazy BIL -- suggestions for physical security.

    Posted: 03 Feb 2021 12:15 AM PST

    Apparently dude has started sending people insane texts again -- he's a person with a history of violence, so I'm a bit perturbed. I've gotten a Eufy doorbell camera and a Eufy 2C exterior camera pointing at the parking lot covered, and I intend to replace the locks as well with something sturdier -- was hoping to see if anyone had any advice on what sorts of locks or other physical security measures are recommended. The only real way anyone other than Spider Man could actually come in is through the condo's door, so I want to see what options there are for making it an effective barrier against someone with a history of trying to push his way in through people's doors.

    While I'm not particularly afraid of this person on a good day -- if anything, he tends to shrink when I've been around -- some of the content of the texts are alarming, so I'd like to ensure peace of mind above all else.

    submitted by /u/Late90sUsenetPoster
    [link] [comments]

    Simple motion sensor alert setup

    Posted: 02 Feb 2021 04:04 PM PST

    I want to put a motion sensor in my garage that would send me some kind of alert/alarm on my phone if it detects someone in there at night. Anyone have recommendations for devices/products ideal for this task? I'd like to avoid having a whole home-security base station setup; ideally I'd like something that works directly with my wifi. I'm thinking potentially something like this would work, but I've never worked with these devices.

    submitted by /u/batardo
    [link] [comments]

    Any Home security suggestion with a glass break sensor or vibration sensor?

    Posted: 02 Feb 2021 07:32 PM PST

    I have been looking into Abode and Simplisafe for now since they offer a good variety of sensors and monitoring services but I am open to other suggestions. It is hard to find a comparison between these two in 2021. I need something with good glass break sensors that I can activate while I'm home which is why Ring isn't an option for me. Is there a reason to choose Abode vs Simplisafe? Are there any other good home security systems or setups that would be worth looking at?

    submitted by /u/Uagir
    [link] [comments]

    Best home cctv for £500 anneke 4k was rubbish

    Posted: 02 Feb 2021 10:01 AM PST

    Hi all, I've just bought and returned this https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07NMRZL5N/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_api_fabc_VBAENE1S51X495KXKQJB?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1 the live feed was jittery almost like it was dropping frames, the recorded stream was jerky, night vision wasn't good at all. The cheap 30 quid camera from curry's produced smoother images. Can anyone recommend a good 3/4 camera poe system for under 500? Has anyone tried the reolink systems?

    submitted by /u/jizzfarter
    [link] [comments]

    Wireless camera with battery to operate on its own. Suggestions?

    Posted: 02 Feb 2021 07:25 AM PST

    Hello all! So there has been a problem in my local park where an unknown person is dropping poisoned food for the strays of the area. It has been a problem for a while. The person has used glass, screws and poison in different occasions and the whole neighbourhood had just about enough.

    Price is not an issue since many people are chipping in. Any suggestions for a camera that can work on its own, under any weather for an extended period of time?

    submitted by /u/ShillBro
    [link] [comments]

    DVR data recovery.

    Posted: 02 Feb 2021 11:06 AM PST

    Data Recovery: I have a copy of a hard drive from a Speco DVR-4TNDVD/300. I'm trying to find out if I can recover any video data from it. A data recovery service wanted $250 to look at it and another $1500 to take any data off of it. Anybody have a better way? Cross post in r/datarecovery with picture of hard drive.

    https://www.reddit.com/r/DataHoarder/comments/lb3i48/data_recovery_this_is_a_copy_of_a_hard_drive_from/

    submitted by /u/GretschElectromatic
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment