• Breaking News

    Thursday, February 4, 2021

    Home security: Nest/Google Home Security Cameras

    Home security: Nest/Google Home Security Cameras


    Nest/Google Home Security Cameras

    Posted: 03 Feb 2021 07:20 PM PST

    My opinion, its worth nothing, but here it is anyway. I've been using Nest Cameras for 2 years. I have a nest Nest Cam Indoor and a Nest Cam Outdoor, and I'm subscribed to Nest Aware. We have been on two internet connections in this time, one was a 1000M/bit connection with a hard wired extender within 10m (30 feet) direct line of sight to the cameras, and now we are on a 100M/bit connection within 5m (15 feet) of the router.

    Footage quality: Poor, and pixelated, when we switched to the 100 M/bit connection it was noticeably worse and we had to turn the quality of the footage down in app.

    Face recognition: Terrible, it sends me alerts all the time of someone in my house and it's my dog asleep on the carpet, or a tennis racket in the garage at night. Often it alerts me someone unknown is in my house, and its me walking around.

    App support: Terrible, it often doesn't switch correctly from home/away, and as a result one of the cameras needs to be manually turned on as the scheduling doesn't work.

    Reliability: Terrible, the cameras often loose connection, this is most concerning when it sends you a message telling you someone is in your house late at night or when you are out.

    Cost: These cameras are really expensive for what they are, and to get full function from them you need to commit to a subscription based service to supplement them.

    Overall I would highly recommend to start away from the Nest Camera family, and don't be fooled into thinking, "oh but it works with my google home/assistant" because most the time it doesn't work at all

    submitted by /u/burntbeyondbelief
    [link] [comments]

    Outdoor cams that allow uploading to choice

    Posted: 04 Feb 2021 03:31 AM PST

    Looking for preferably wireless cameras that would allow uploading of capture events loaded to my choice of online storage. I'd like to choose Google if that helps.

    I'm not worried about storage space or anything beyond being able to use my own URL.

    submitted by /u/jiggle-o
    [link] [comments]

    Home security camera mobile apps

    Posted: 03 Feb 2021 07:02 PM PST

    Hello! I recently purchased and installed Hiseeu security cameras(link below). The cameras seem to be decent quality, and when the main unit is plugged into a computer monitor, I have decent control over my settings, recordings, etc. However, the mobile app SUCKS. Its barely in english, and I can't download or view auto-saved videos after a motion sensor is triggered. Its only helpful if motion is detected and I quickly log in and view things in real time. My question is - Are there any 3rd party mobile apps that will work with several differet systems, that I could use in place of the crappy one my manufacturer put out? If not, does anybody have any other suggestions for making this useable? Thank you! (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07719HQQS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apap_f63cQVQmxvDrD)

    submitted by /u/BatFastard95
    [link] [comments]

    Farm Security Systems

    Posted: 03 Feb 2021 02:55 PM PST

    We have a 15 acre farm in central California in a relatively rural area with a growing homeless population. We recently had a break in and a security audit has given us a number of improvements to focus on - better front gate and a security system being at the top of the list.

    I've had random quotes ranging from 3K to 15K from security "companies" that basically sell equipment and do install, without much ongoing support, but I'm at a loss and would love some advice.

    We'd like a security system with approximately a dozen top of the line cameras that have motion detection and can be hardwired. The wi-fi is spotty so we are planning on trenching and connecting them to the DVR/PVR + modem.

    I'd like recommendations for a system with night vision, a great app that allows us to monitor in real-time, has motion detectors that can be turned on at certain times, and also looks imposing enough as a deterrent near a gate. Basically I think I'm looking for commercial-grade Nest, which we use at home.

    Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

    submitted by /u/Both_Personality_203
    [link] [comments]

    Recommended budget europrofile door lock inserts?

    Posted: 03 Feb 2021 07:51 PM PST

    I'm on the market for a new door lock. The door itself has deadbolts, all that jazz, just need a new insert.

    I've but three requirements:

    1. Fairly widely available in Europe
    2. Inexpensive
    3. Secure enough to resist the basic attacks, like bumping, jiggling, or raking

    Any particular models, or even just manufacturers, thag are worth recommending? I thought of going through the belt list of r/lockpicking and checking the availability of each lock, but perhaps somebody here will have a quicker answer.

    submitted by /u/Atulin
    [link] [comments]

    Help designing new camera system.

    Posted: 03 Feb 2021 06:46 PM PST

    I'm new to home security systems. My dad wants to install 4 cameras around our house outside. I'm wondering about the best way to do what I'm planning with them. My plan would be to run all of the cameras to a network switch and then that switch to an old workstation I fixed up, then run that to our router. The use for this would be that I could access the video stream via lan in a browser by searching the ip, or preferably the PCs MAC address and also access the saved recordings by using the pc as a NAS. I would use IP cameras, but I don't trust them. What would be the best way to do this.

    submitted by /u/ComanderCrypto
    [link] [comments]

    Sharing public footage of an event that was caught on your outdoor camera

    Posted: 03 Feb 2021 02:36 PM PST

    Hey there,

    I am currently public-facing outdoor cameras (CCTV, security, ring doorbells, webcams, etc) that are personally owned. I have some questions about

    • Likelihood of you handing over footage for an investigation
    • The frequency in which investigators ask you to export footage to aid in investigations
    • The amount of time it takes you to export footage
    • Any difficulty associated with exporting footage

    If you have been on the other side of this, eg you're an investigator who needs to access security footage from a small business or an individual, I'd be very interested in hearing your feedback as well.

    Please let me know if you can spend 5 minutes chatting. I will gladly buy you a beverage for your time.

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/neet-army
    [link] [comments]

    New homeowner question: In a Battle Royale... SimpliSafe vs Alarm.com—who is the winner??

    Posted: 03 Feb 2021 04:37 PM PST

    It's hard to find a straight answer on this sub sometimes.

    SimpliSafe is cheaper and easy, but relies on wifi.

    Alarm.com systems are more expensive and might be overkill.

    Do I want pro-monitoring?

    submitted by /u/Bill_Parker
    [link] [comments]

    Camera Placement?

    Posted: 03 Feb 2021 03:48 PM PST

    Hi!

    I'm looking to add some cameras to our house: https://i.imgur.com/fzohp6c.png

    The red arrow is our Google doorbell camera but I'm going to use WIFI cameras with Blue Iris for the rest. I have two Reolink bullet cameras currently and don't mind buying more or replacing if they're not great.

    The green lines are chain link fence and the little blue lines are the fence gates. The little building between house and garage is a cheap little storage shed.

    I'd just like to maximize coverage with the best placement for watching around us.

    I was hoping to get thoughts on camera placements from experts.

    submitted by /u/blessedarethegeek
    [link] [comments]

    I'm looking for this, does it exist?

    Posted: 03 Feb 2021 05:59 AM PST

    Hi,

    So I currently have a Ring doorbell on my door, bang on the centre. It's great but only when it picks up motion because it seems to miss like 20% of them. I think it's mainly due to my pathway not being a straight line in front of the door.

    See picture: https://i.ibb.co/W6hs3fX/Screenshot-20210203-135434.jpg

    I was thinking, I need to replace my front porch light anyway, so does this exist:
    An external hardwired motion light that only turns on at night AND gives push notification to phone when it triggers. Bonus points if the notifications comes on even during the day.

    Thanks.

    submitted by /u/yamiprem
    [link] [comments]

    DIY systems comparison

    Posted: 03 Feb 2021 02:24 PM PST

    Does anybody have a good reference for comparing the different DIY security system options? I'm referring to ring, nest, abode, eufy, simplisafe, etc. There's quite a few options and I'm having difficulty finding one that is the most price effective. Thanks

    submitted by /u/shminkle
    [link] [comments]

    Lorex systems uses

    Posted: 03 Feb 2021 09:46 AM PST

    I have to older Lorex camera/dvr systems that aren't being used. Is there a break to hack into program and reprogram?

    submitted by /u/WarriorTraditionFund
    [link] [comments]

    Need vista 20p configurable zone code for rf overhead garage door vent zone

    Posted: 03 Feb 2021 09:06 AM PST

    I have a Vista 20p alarm system and I need a configurable zone code (*182 for zone 90) to make my overhead garage door a wireless (rf) type 2 entry/exit door vent zone.

    I tried (0, #15,4,1,0,5,0,6,6,6) but that does not work correctly.

    The confusing part is that portions of entry 1,3, &5 do not apply to wireless zones (according to the manual. I assume this means to set the N/A parts to 0, but that does not work.

    Thank you very much for any help you can give.

    PS: Why are these codes nowhere to be found on the internet? Honeywell should provide a table of common types such as entry/exit type1, entry/exit type 2, etc. This would allow us to just tweak existing codes instead of reinventing the wheel each time.

    submitted by /u/sew2reddit
    [link] [comments]

    Ring or Vivint?

    Posted: 03 Feb 2021 09:04 AM PST

    I just bought my first house and they have cameras already installed for the outside of the house but they are very old so i want to use them so I'm able to see everything on my phone. It's not in a bad area at all but the piece of mind to be able to see anything happening is what I'm looking for. My SIL has Vivint and my girl also wants that but i was just thinking about getting a Ring bundle and some video flood lights for a fraction of the Vivint price. Any help between the two would be greatly appreciated. TYIA!

    submitted by /u/Sjsj6983
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment