• Breaking News

    Wednesday, January 20, 2021

    Home Improvement: Need help covering bullet hole

    Home Improvement: Need help covering bullet hole


    Need help covering bullet hole

    Posted: 20 Jan 2021 05:16 PM PST

    Hello! Someone shot into my house a month ago and now I have 3 holes to fix (1 on the outside and 2 on the inside). I would call someone in to fix it, but my elderly mother is very high risk for covid and we are quarantining. I would have items delivered.

    The outside of the house is stucco and the inside plaster and I would like to know what are the best materials to fix them. If anyone can help me with names of kits or brands of stucco, plaster, etc. I would really appreciate it!

    The hole in the inside measures 1.75 inches. Including the plaster that has peeled off around the hole is 2.25 inches total.

    submitted by /u/Scared-ThrowAwayHelp
    [link] [comments]

    sound proofing suggestions

    Posted: 20 Jan 2021 04:58 AM PST

    Looking for some suggestions on how to "sound proof" but still look aesthetically pleasing. Here's the situation... my partner and i just purchased our first home, it's a cute little 1 bedroom bungalow. The living room and bedroom share a wall which must be thin. We enjoy different things, for example i love going to bed early and getting a good nights sleep, and he enjoys staying up late playing video games with friends (using a mic and headphones) the problem is i can hear everything he says while talking to friends in the mic.

    I really want him to be able to do what he loves in his own home, and i in turn want to be able to do what i love (sleep with out ear plugs).

    With out tearing down the wall and using a better "sound proofing" insulation are there any suggestions on how to absorb some sound in the living room with out having to resort to giant sound absorbers on the walls?

    I was pondering the idea of possibly creating hidden sound absorbers by getting large canvas prints and putting foam pads in the back of the canvas, not sure if this will work?

    Any thoughts/suggestions would be appreciated!

    Ps. Tried weather stripping the bedroom door, no dice.

    submitted by /u/megwrix
    [link] [comments]

    Toilets with decent amount of water in bowl?

    Posted: 20 Jan 2021 10:29 AM PST

    I just replaced my 30 years old toilet with a basic Glacier Bay 2 buttons toilet, and although the flushing power is adequate, there is so little water in the bowl and it makes sticky things stick and dries them out. I am replacing another toilet and I would like the bowl to hold more water like the good old days so I don't have to flush and then scrub off the dried out stuffs so often. So does anyone have any experience with good toilets with decent amount of water in the bowl? Or maybe some special coating that won't allow stuffs to stick to the upper part?

    Edit: Thank for all the suggestions guys. Here are the most common recommendations from the comments: American Standard Champion 4/ Cadet/ VorMax Anything Toto, especially Drake Anything Kohler

    Learn from my mistake: DO NOT CHEAP OUT ON YOUR THRONE

    submitted by /u/hamsterkun
    [link] [comments]

    Area rugs on hardwood?

    Posted: 20 Jan 2021 03:16 PM PST

    I refinished my floors. There was some sweet 90s carpet covering 1" oak hardwood. Sand and three coats of water based poly and they look gorgeous. I got a 4'×6' area rug for the office with a felt pad. The felt pad has two sides: felt and rubber. The rug's directions said to put the rubber to the hardwood. I specifically got a felt pad to avoid rubber + hardwood contact. Am I going to ruin my beautiful "new" floors?

    submitted by /u/rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrosa
    [link] [comments]

    I'm going to finish my basement...

    Posted: 20 Jan 2021 10:05 AM PST

    I am going to build out my basement myself and try to make it more affordable. The quotes I've gotten are roughly 20k and I know I can do everything but the electrical and plumbing.

    Any tips and guidance on how to frame with a concrete wall/floor, carpet installation, or whatever I'm unaware of...would be greatly appreciated. Right now I'm just watching an obscene amount of youtube videos.

    submitted by /u/FluffyTyra
    [link] [comments]

    What's Wrong With My Roof

    Posted: 20 Jan 2021 06:35 PM PST

    Pictures: https://imgur.com/a/ilIWYR2

    Seems like on a few areas near the edge of my roof there have vertical indentations running down.

    What level of attention does this need and how quickly should it be addressed?

    Is it still safe to walk on my roof?

    submitted by /u/MountainMaverick90
    [link] [comments]

    What’s going on with this wall? (Huge sheet of something peeling off)

    Posted: 20 Jan 2021 05:30 PM PST

    https://imgur.com/a/vneDzN2

    We're getting ready for some renovations / improvements (including paint and replacing the carpet) when I notice the bottom of the wall peeling / bubbled up.

    I lifted up the edge and it started peeling off in a perfectly square sheet. It looks / feels like some sort of fabric / nylon mesh and there's a bunch of gunk in between. Hard to tell in the photo, but it's brown and not black, so I'm not sure if it's mold.

    Any suggestions on how to repair and prep for new paint?

    Do I peel it all off the whole wall or cut a chunk out?

    submitted by /u/VERYwool
    [link] [comments]

    Please help me fix a shower size problem before I cry myself asleep again

    Posted: 20 Jan 2021 03:56 PM PST

    Ok so we're redoing a bathroom that hasn't been touched since 1945.

    The tub in it is 60 inches wall to wall. It's a small bathroom, so I want to rip out that tub and put in a walk in shower, but also have room on one side of the shower to put shelving to save space.

    The depth I have to work with is 32 inches. So I'm desperately trying to figure out how I could do a shower that is like 40 by 32 or so, but that size apparently doesn't exist.

    Please help me solve this issue and I'll love you forever.

    submitted by /u/Crazey4wwe
    [link] [comments]

    Removed Painted Popcorn Ceiling, Left with Rough Surface

    Posted: 20 Jan 2021 05:12 PM PST

    I have popcorn ceilings throughout my house, and I recently started the process of removing them. In most of the rooms, they came off very easily. I dampened the popcorn with a sprayer and it was a fairly simple process. The drywall was smooth and in good condition. Unfortunately, my family room is another story. The popcorn had been painted, and I tried using a vinegar/water solution to remove it. Although I was able to scrape all of it off, the ceiling has a rough texture. Sanding did not seem to correct this. I have a feeling that if I just prime and paint, I will be very disappointed with the result. I don't know the best way to proceed. I was thinking about calling a drywaller and seeing if they can skim coat the entire ceiling. I'm not sure if there's a better option, which is why I wanted to ask. Attached are two pictures. They're not the best, but you can see the issue. It actually looks worse in the pictures than it does when you're looking from a distance. I appreciate any suggestions, tips, etc.

    https://i.postimg.cc/rwt6Ph21/IMG-2238.jpg

    https://i.postimg.cc/R05r5cvj/IMG-2240.jpg

    submitted by /u/cai24
    [link] [comments]

    Dishwasher falling out?

    Posted: 20 Jan 2021 05:54 PM PST

    Hi there! We bought a new home and the dishwasher after a couple uses (and when it's completely full) sort of falls out of place when we unload it. The weight of the dishes are bringing it down and it's lowering out of its position (like what was used to secure it DIDNT do well enough)

    Do we need to pay someone to come secure it back in place or are we okay to do it ourselves somehow? It works fine in use, only "falls" when we unload it and if the "door" is heavy while we do that

    submitted by /u/chargingblue
    [link] [comments]

    Having trouble finding studs for shelves.

    Posted: 20 Jan 2021 06:05 PM PST

    [SOLVED]

    I'm hanging a shelf with a length of 48 inches and I'll be using 2 shelf brackets. Id like the brackets to be at the 12 inch and 36 inch mark on the shelf. Anyway, the shelf is going in a corner. I've found a stud 12" from the corner but no studs at 16, 24, or 36 inches. I found them by drilling into the wall with a sub-1mm drill bit and do not have a stud finder. Where should I measure to find the studs I need?

    submitted by /u/horseradish01
    [link] [comments]

    Window Replacement Quote - Thoughts on price?

    Posted: 20 Jan 2021 01:24 PM PST

    Hey all,

    We're pricing out a window/door replacement project and I'm looking for feedback on pricing we've received.

    I'm looking to replace 7 windows and a french door:

    • 3 double-hung
    • 2 larger double hung (tempered)
    • 2 trapezoid shaped windows
    • Swinging French door with a glass panel on one side

    We requested quotes from Replacement by Andersen and two local companies that use Marvin Infinity products. Prices we received:

    • Replacement by Andersen: 26.5K before tax
    • Local company #1 (Marvin): 25K before tax
    • Local company #2 (Marvin): 23.5K out the door

    I've had a few people (friends, co-workers) hear these figures and act astonished at how high they are. Are these quotes way too expensive? Or are they to be expected for higher end windows (Andersen, Marvin Infinity)? Thanks for your input, this is a big project for us and we want to make sure we're making the right choice.

    Edit: Not sure if this matters or not, but I'm in the Denver Metro area.

    submitted by /u/mandudeson
    [link] [comments]

    Please help me un fuck my roof

    Posted: 20 Jan 2021 03:37 PM PST

    https://imgur.com/a/LUm4zUX

    https://imgur.com/a/7yg04X8

    So basically the flashing(s) are not far enough up under the shingles and I don't want to damage my home when it rains.

    What is the least amount of effort I can do, to correctly fix this fuck up?

    The flashing is around the anchor point in the truss.

    One guy recommended I use rubber flashing with nails and sealant.

    Figured it wouldn't hurt to get some more opinions so here I am.

    Also if anyone has roofing experience and could tell me which rows I need to re do, I'd be grateful.

    submitted by /u/theimmortalvirus
    [link] [comments]

    How to find electrical current through walls

    Posted: 20 Jan 2021 02:19 PM PST

    Basically, the people who "remodeled" the house did a hack job, big surprise, they covered Some of the outlets that were in the bathroom downstairs and I had to remove the cover and see if the outlet worked another once I put a new outlet in.

    Our master bedroom only has one outlet but it is in a super weird position that I don't understand why it's even there, I would hope that there is an existing outlet somewhere but they probably just covered it up. Again this is just a theory I don't actually know that's why I was wondering if there was a way to check if there is any current behind the walls to maybe figure out if there was an outlet there before and they covered it up.

    Hope that makes sense; thank you guys in advanced!

    submitted by /u/Friendlyx
    [link] [comments]

    Does anyone know how I can turn an image or logo into a wall light?

    Posted: 20 Jan 2021 08:17 PM PST

    I have a custom logo for my YouTube and twitch and I'd like to make it a wall light to put behind me, but I don't know who or where I'd go to, to get it done.

    submitted by /u/ZombiKillr2001
    [link] [comments]

    Best painting method.

    Posted: 20 Jan 2021 08:16 PM PST

    I'm about to repaint entire 2000 sf house. One floor is 10 ft tall and the 2nd is 25 in places. Definitely priming everything first. All one color including doors and trim. Replacing carpet after the painting. What is the best method for time and money?

    1) Spraying doesn't seem to save me time or money because I spend so much time prepping and wasting paint.

    2) Spray and backroll. A better version of #1 but still a waste of paint.

    3) Roll on. I'm probably doing this by myself. Damn.

    4) I've never used an electric roller. Are those good?

    submitted by /u/foothillsco_b
    [link] [comments]

    Who do I call?

    Posted: 20 Jan 2021 10:41 AM PST

    For a leak, if we're not exactly sure where it's coming from?

    Previous drywall stains here popped up on the inspection report when we purchased, but the inspector and appraiser both agreed that they appeared to be old stains - drywall was not soft, and it had been raining nonstop but no sign of moisture anywhere.

    We fixed up the drywall and painted. Fast forward a few months and here we are. The obvious guess would be an issue with window not being sealed. The windows are relatively newer, approx 10 years. Husband went outside with a pressure washer and sprayed directly in the area for several minutes and not a drop appeared. He also added extra sealant around the frame inside and out 'just in case'.

    Next guess was maybe a roof leak, trickling down to this area. We had an obvious roof leak on the other side of the room that had already been repaired and seemed to be fine. Husband went up there and spread out a tarp underneath to see if it would accumulate any water. Even during a week straight of rain, not a drop.

    So our very limited ideas have been exhausted, not that we're any kind of professional handymen. Where do we start to have it repaired, if we're not really sure where the source is? Would I call a window installer, a roof company, a drywall installer? I don't want to call a general contractor just for this little leak, but then again I'm hesitant to call the neighborhood handyman, who might end up tearing apart our wall and roof to find the issue, and for us to find out we have to call one of the above anyway. What would you all suggest?

    https://imgur.com/gallery/6sGjLzu

    submitted by /u/Objective_Train_6040
    [link] [comments]

    Shower pan plan

    Posted: 20 Jan 2021 12:07 PM PST

    I'm planning out a new bathroom, no experience with this The shower is going to be nestled into an alcove. When planning the space, is the alcove width/depth just the shower pan size? Or do I need additional space to account for...???

    submitted by /u/ozwegoe
    [link] [comments]

    What plumbing connection is this and how do I remove

    Posted: 20 Jan 2021 09:25 AM PST

    http://imgur.com/gallery/2xRoIQM

    It looks like it is threaded, but with lots of spinning it hasn't seemed to even loosen let alone come off. I have never seen a connector like this and would like to know how to remove.

    submitted by /u/UhhBusive
    [link] [comments]

    Composite Deck scratching?

    Posted: 20 Jan 2021 09:20 PM PST

    Hey guys, looking for some advice. I'm about to replace the deck on my house but am torn between cedar and composite. Love the low maintenance and look of composite, but we have an active 60 lb lab/pit mix and I'm worried about scratches showing up. Is this a concern for composite decks? Any recommendations for high scratch resistance?

    submitted by /u/No_Ad9759
    [link] [comments]

    Liquid Sandpaper on wood countertop

    Posted: 20 Jan 2021 07:00 PM PST

    I would like to sand and refinish my wood kitchen countertops. I know I need to sand the protective layer on top of the counter currently. The question is can I use liquid sandpaper to help sand my countertops? I understand I will probably manually sand afterwards just to be safe.

    submitted by /u/youarealoser_
    [link] [comments]

    What are some arguments AGAINST getting a fence?

    Posted: 20 Jan 2021 08:50 PM PST

    Yard is small-ish, neighbors' houses close. Will I regret putting in a fence?

    submitted by /u/blueChinchbug
    [link] [comments]

    DIY Basement Waterproofing

    Posted: 20 Jan 2021 03:38 PM PST

    Any good ideas for water proofing a basement on your own? Me and my wife live in central Michigan and have an unfinished basement with concrete (though water is causing it to deteriorate) floor. With recent snow melts (we've been having snow that melts really quickly due to temperature being a little too warm), we've got significant water seeping through the floor. I'd like to find a fix, but frankly, we don't currently have the money to hire a professional. Any suggestions are most appreciated!

    submitted by /u/MrMalredo
    [link] [comments]

    Indirect hot water tanks

    Posted: 20 Jan 2021 08:34 PM PST

    Do Indirect hot water tanks have sacrificial rods like gas and electric water heaters? If so, how long do they last?

    submitted by /u/keepah61
    [link] [comments]

    Insulating attic walls from the "wrong side"

    Posted: 20 Jan 2021 08:04 PM PST

    I have a half attic that shares a wall with conditioned space. The insulation is old deteriorating rock wool. It was installed backwards (with the paper facing the attic), and the paper is now crumbling. What kind of insulation should I replace it with and how should I install it? Obviously I can't staple the paper to the studs as in a normal install.

    My current plan is to use standard wall batts, install with the paper side facing in, then use lath strips to secure it if necessary.

    submitted by /u/ThatAssholeMrWhite
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment