• Breaking News

    Tuesday, December 8, 2020

    Home security: Online OpSec: Threat models and tools for staying safe, private and informed while Online, used by the average person

    Home security: Online OpSec: Threat models and tools for staying safe, private and informed while Online, used by the average person


    Online OpSec: Threat models and tools for staying safe, private and informed while Online, used by the average person

    Posted: 08 Dec 2020 07:17 AM PST

    Anyone use Arlo cameras?

    Posted: 08 Dec 2020 10:19 AM PST

    I got 2 free arlo solar panels and was wondering if it was worth it to pick up Arlo pro x cameras? Was wondering if anyone here had any experience with them?

    submitted by /u/waynemc
    [link] [comments]

    Is it possible to use one app or programme to monitor multiple ip cams from different suppliers?

    Posted: 08 Dec 2020 03:51 PM PST

    Hi first off sorry if this is not the correct sub for this but basically i got three ip cameras. All different brands. Ones OM hd guard i believe a outdoor wifi cam purchased from Lidl here in the UK. The second is a Danale branded indoor wifi cam and the third is a mini spy wifi cam thingy which as of right now i am unable to find any app or software to set it up.

    I was just wondering as there all ip or wifi cams would it be possible to view all on one app or one bit of software instead of having multiple apps?

    Thanks in advance for any help.

    submitted by /u/LSD05
    [link] [comments]

    Any Advice for a Cord Cutter with ADT Home Monitoring?

    Posted: 08 Dec 2020 09:15 AM PST

    Hi, I was looking for some expert advice and I heard that r/HomeDefense is the place to go! My parents recently cut their cable and phone, opting for Internet only. Afterwards, they realized that ADT monitoring would stop working because it needs a phone line. My parents have had ADT for 30+ years and have had the same monthly price ($15) since they started. They have a Vista 20p installed. I've read that there's some type of module that you can add to the system to allow Ethernet and cell connectivity. Unfortunately, I think if they were to upgrade the system, they wouldn't be allowed to keep the same monthly price. Preferably, I was looking for a way to continue monitoring with ADT, without phone lines and without the monthly increase.

    I know nothing about this, I'm not sure if it's possible, but I was thinking that I could buy the upgrade module for the Vista 20p and install it myself. Then call ADT and tell them that the home phone number has changed to whatever's on the upgrade module. That way, we could connect over a cell signal instead of the phone lines.

    That's just a thought, I'm sure it won't work for a myriad of reasons. If you have any suggestions or ideas, I'm all ears. Unfortunately, my parents are pretty obstinate to change and the "LOW" monthly price of $15 is a point of pride for my father. It would be preferable to stay with ADT but If that's not practical then I'm sure they would switch to anything.

    I think they only have 2 real criteria. The first is that the system automatically calls the police without their intervention. The second is that it's relatively inexpensive.

    submitted by /u/chooseausername69251
    [link] [comments]

    Reinforce Front Iron Door?

    Posted: 07 Dec 2020 05:58 PM PST

    Thoughts on how to reinforce these type of doors? We recently had a break-in. This screenshot is from a youtube video and is happening a lot.

    For us, I believe they used a flathead screwdriver where the bolt is.

    Any ideas appreciated. Thanks!

    submitted by /u/WinterNefariousness3
    [link] [comments]

    Anybody know what kind of panel this is?

    Posted: 08 Dec 2020 10:51 AM PST

    I'm moving into a new house and I believe it has a wired security system. My current house has wireless sensors and I'm wondering if they might be compatible with the new system

    https://imgur.com/a/PGqUV5r

    submitted by /u/shwackshwack
    [link] [comments]

    New homeowner with ADT already installed, should I keep it?

    Posted: 08 Dec 2020 08:16 AM PST

    I've recently purchased a home that was previously setup for ADT service.

    There are a handful of motion lights as well as cameras on the outside, doors and windows all have the modules on them to tell if they're open or closed. There's a base station (not sure if thats the right term) in the basement that can tell if there's a "fault" in any of the connected systems and seems to be used to arm/disarm the system.

    What I've heard though is that ADT is the most expensive and requires an extended contract that is a pain to cancel. Also issues with their proprietary hardware having to be hardwired, which makes moving or adopting someone else system a bigger headache.

    Personally, before I knew the house I was purchasing had ADT pre-installed, I was thinking about getting Simplisafe. I've heard mostly good things about it. Cameras, window stickers, etc. all at a reasonable price.

    I'm wondering, is it worth it for me to continue with ADT, given that the hardware expense(s) have already been purchased, setup, and are wired already into a main system in the home. OR would anyone recommend just forgetting all that stuff and going with the more modern Simplisafe....or something else?

    Secondary question*:* Would a Ring/Nest/similar doorbell camera system be something I'd want in addition to these full home security setups, or do they come with their own I should use.

    I really really appreciate any help/guidance you can provide a new home owner on either of these things.

    EDIT: More detailed info about the pre-existing setup:

    In the basement there is a Honeywell system, from my Googling around maybe a LynxR or something similar? (Don't see any info for model # or anything) It looks exactly like this: https://imgur.com/AnSEQum I found this one via google images, mine is working, the LCD panel displays accurate info too. For instance, if I open the garage door, it tells me there's a fault in Zone 6. So, it's doing...something.

    There's also a Honeywell DVR system (Model #: HRHH1081)

    The outdoor cameras appear to be EZWatch - EZ Bullet VF Gold "Weatherproof night-vision color bullet camera"

    submitted by /u/big_league_bacon
    [link] [comments]

    NVR no video from IP camera

    Posted: 08 Dec 2020 12:45 AM PST

    So I don't have much info on this system, I'm sure it's something cheap. My step dad passed some time ago and he use to do a lot of DVR installs, was starting to get into NVR but didn't do much. Found this still sealed NVR and powered it on, hooked up some IP cameras I found in the garage as well, and no video. I have no experience with NVR/IP cameras. More than anything I'm just curious what I could do to get an image to show up lol. Using Cat5e cable, camera is getting power, but no image. Any help appreciated, thanks. More than anything I'm just curious if I can get it to display an image from any of these cameras lol.

    Photos

    submitted by /u/Jessem209
    [link] [comments]

    Need advice before purchasing

    Posted: 07 Dec 2020 07:38 PM PST

    I'm looking for low budget wireless security cameras to install at my great uncle/aunt (99/96yo) to make sure their home attendants don't abuse/mistreat/burglarize them.

    What I will need though is a camera that won't REQUIRE a mobile app to view the footage remotely. I want the ability to login via browser too...

    It seems like the ones on amazon are app only or sdcard based...

    Any suggestions?

    Thanx in advanced.

    Also posted in r/homesecurity

    submitted by /u/ClickHereEdit
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment