• Breaking News

    Thursday, December 31, 2020

    Home security: How do you securely install a security camera?

    Home security: How do you securely install a security camera?


    How do you securely install a security camera?

    Posted: 30 Dec 2020 03:13 PM PST

    Maybe this is a basic/obvious question. But how do you install a camera securely? Arlo makes these 100% wireless cameras, but if I was a thief wouldn't I just... steal the camera? And if it was a wired camera, wouldn't the bad guy just snip the wire? I can see how the cameras might be good for limited/basic purposes (is a neighborhood kid pulling a prank) but for real security, I'm not seeing it.

    It seems like the best solution would be a dome camera that is completely encased and screwed into the wall, with a wire behind it that comes inside. But it seems like a lot of work to install something like that for a retail (not corporate) customer - I don't feel like I have the expertise to go drilling through my house, and I wouldn't necessarily want someone else to do it either.

    Am I missing something obvious? Thanks in advance.

    submitted by /u/Tnyt341
    [link] [comments]

    Garage/shop siren only setup

    Posted: 30 Dec 2020 06:48 PM PST

    Hello,

    I'll preface by saying I'm in IT and new to the alarm side of things.

    I have a friend who would like a "lights and siren" only alarm setup for his garage/shop. There are no windows but a man door and a garage door. He didn't mention it but I thought it would be handy to possibly be able to control it via a keypad and phone. He wants to do self monitoring so no need for telephone/cell connections. There is network in the building. I should be able to hardwire everything so I don't believe I have a need for wireless communication at this point.

    I might be making it too complicated but I was looking into something along the lines of THIS and adding on motion and an external siren/lights.

    I figured something more professional would have a longer life and also not have to worry about fees or other issues with products like ring/simplisafe.

    Any advice or direction would be great, I'm not sure if that is the best bet but it seemed like a decent place to start with room for expansion.

    submitted by /u/sklam
    [link] [comments]

    Urgently need two cameras to be placed outside my house. How much would an average, low-end non necessarily WIFI (SD only is ok) camera would cost? Friend claims that there are no cheaper options than just getting two 150$ Wifi cameras + network connection for both (no net near house)

    Posted: 31 Dec 2020 12:44 AM PST

    Not looking for models or exact cameras, just wondering if what I am being told is true, 150$ seems very steep price for a security camera or is that normal price for such equipment?

    submitted by /u/OptimalAttempt3
    [link] [comments]

    Looking to upgrade to 4K cameras - Lorex or Swann?

    Posted: 30 Dec 2020 09:00 PM PST

    I'm looking to upgrade my Night Owl system with higher quality cameras. My current DVR is 720p so will need a DVR, too.

    Used for:

    • Exterior wired exterior home security, to check doors, car break-ins, vandalism, theft, etc.
    • Check on things remotely
    • 24/7 recording - at least 5 days worth

    What's your experience with the below features? Are they worth it?

    1. Audio
    2. Two-way talk audio
    3. Viewing angle - much difference between 93 degree vs. 108 degree. If you got the lower, do you regret it and vice versa?
    4. Motion-activated LED Warning Light
    5. Remote-activated Siren
    6. Heat & Motion Sensing
    7. Smart Motion Detection, Smart Home Voice Control, Smart Deterrence
    8. Is there a difference between 4K between cameras (4K digital vs. analog - much difference in quality)?
    9. Any difference between POI vs. POE
    10. Night vision range - 135ft vs 150ft - much difference, how much quality or color is lost?
    11. Bullet vs. dome?
    12. All the fancy stuff like Facial Recognition, Smart Analytics, etc. etc.
    13. Motorized?

    Anything else I should be looking into?

    Here are a few I'm looking at:

    https://www.costco.com/CompareProductsDisplay?partNumbers=1440299,1488192,1485385,1488160

    https://www.costco.com/swann-16-channel-4k-ultra-hd-nvr-security-system-with-3tb-hdd%2c-6-4k-bullet-cameras-and-2-4k-spotlight-bullet-cameras.product.100506298.html

    https://www.costco.com/.product.100696184.html

    Thank you!

    submitted by /u/lindenberry
    [link] [comments]

    Just bought a house that has this ADT keypad, can it be used with something else?

    Posted: 30 Dec 2020 09:02 AM PST

    The previous homeowners had ADT and I had them quote me but it is pricy just for monitoring and I will not be going with them. However if I can repurpose this keypad with another system/app/some other security program I am really interested.

    https://imgur.com/a/jhXL2yO

    submitted by /u/rouxinajar
    [link] [comments]

    Outdoor camera ideas?

    Posted: 30 Dec 2020 04:44 PM PST

    I went to visit my parents for the holidays. They live near a lake out in the middle of nowhere. They built a house and next door to them is their camper for when they have visitors. Basically if you are tech savvy, then this is the last place you want to be. No cell signal, internet, cable, etc. Strictly just you and the lake. Anywho, the nearest town is about 10 miles away. And recently there have been a string of robberies near my folks.

    Long story short, what would 've the ideal camera for them to have outdoors? As I mentioned earlier there is no internet or cell phone signal(until you drive to the nearest town). What would be ideal for them is to have cameras setup around their home and around their camper.

    Is there a way to get the home hooked up to a DVR and the camper hooked up to a separate DVR? Weatherproof and night vision and audio/video recording would be amazing.

    I'm not really smart on these things either. Any ideas or suggestions would be great.

    Anyway, thank you for the help.

    submitted by /u/SwampThing2029
    [link] [comments]

    Which is better long-term - DIY or Professional Alarm System?

    Posted: 30 Dec 2020 08:51 AM PST

    Currently investigating home alarm systems and torn on how I should move toward. I'm looking at SimpliSafe/Ring/Abode, however I question the quality of their equipment, overall security (based on reviews and YouTube videos/demonstrations), and ecosystem lock in. Does a professionally installed system using tried and true companies and components such as DSC just make more sense in the long run? With these more traditional systems, do I lose out on stuff like IoT monitoring and manipulation or are modules available to enhance system capabilities?

    Overall, I guess, I see SimpliSafe/Ring/Abode offering a bunch of bells and whistles where as a more traditional system just does the basics... but maybe that's a good thing?

    Thanks for any guidance you can provide. Looking for different perspectives and thoughts.

    submitted by /u/HistoricalTomato
    [link] [comments]

    pros and cons of a lower level security camera...

    Posted: 30 Dec 2020 02:27 PM PST

    I know generally, the idea is to make a camera harder to disable and one of the ways of doing that is to put it out of reach. our neighborhood has a lot of late night car checkers and although we catch several on video it's rarely useful because of camera angle. If I put a camera 6-7' up on our wall pointed down the driveway I would have a super useful view. Nobody seems deterred by the eve cameras (three in total) that have red glowing lights and cover the front of the house. I'm wondering if the pay-off between better footage and the chance of vandalism might not lean toward better footage. One major downside I see is that the lower camera pointed straight out will be far more subject to glare from afternoon sun. The IP cameras are really only $100ish so while I don't want to throw away $100 it's not a big loss if someone decides to damage it. if they do, there would be at least one other camera covering them doing it.

    ideas? give it a try? not a good idea? other info?

    submitted by /u/atomicskier76
    [link] [comments]

    What are good options for a multi sensor security camera for exterior use with good night vision?

    Posted: 30 Dec 2020 12:46 PM PST

    Home Assistant - alarm integration from near scratch

    Posted: 30 Dec 2020 12:04 PM PST

    Dvr admin password reset

    Posted: 30 Dec 2020 03:30 AM PST

    Helo,

    I would appreciate if you could help me and provide your solutions to reseting the H. 264 8ch digital video recorder. I have lost the admin password. On the sticker it says D9108 English PAL. Thank you for your valuable information. Regards,

    submitted by /u/DirtyBond420
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment