• Breaking News

    Saturday, November 14, 2020

    Home security: Alarm systems that work with HomeKit

    Home security: Alarm systems that work with HomeKit


    Alarm systems that work with HomeKit

    Posted: 14 Nov 2020 01:23 AM PST

    Hello, I'm interested to learn from anyone who has experience with an alarm system that works with Apple HomeKit.

    Specifically I'm looking for a hard wired system and I only need to arm and disarm the system via HomeKit or Apple Shortcuts. Does anyone have a system like this? Most products I've found are DIY systems where the PIRs are all wireless.

    To clarify if anyone has experience with a system that allows HomeKit integration or to simply arm and disarm the system via Shortcuts, I'd much appreciate their advice!

    I'm based in the UK.

    submitted by /u/hxv92
    [link] [comments]

    Entry level system while overseas.

    Posted: 13 Nov 2020 01:33 PM PST

    I'm currently stationed in Italy and while my neighborhood isn't bad, my wife and I would just like to know we have a system in place to alert us of someone breaking in or if someone were to be inside the house. We are renting and don't exactly have accessibility to hard wiring a system.

    I understand Ring and those other big systems aren't what most people recommend but seeing as how many of the items are either battery operated or plugged into an outlet (with an adapter of course) it seems to be a nice, easy and fairly cheap solution. I'm not looking at anything complicated, I'd just like a camera for the backyard with a motion light, some door sensors, maybe a motion sensor or two inside and a camera at the top of the stairs looking down them, that would also cover our bedroom door incase someone were sneaking around. Maybe I'm just overthinking this and don't need as much as I'm saying. Im also aware that ring doesn't monitor in Italy so I'm not worried about the system being monitored. Just something I can get notifications and manually check via PC/Mobile.

    I appreciate your time reading.

    Edit: my question being, is ring or one of the other bigger, more mainstream systems fine for what I want? Are they safe and will I need to worry about an insecure system? I'm looking to keep it under $750 if possible.

    submitted by /u/Organic_Philosopher
    [link] [comments]

    Storage rooms in apartment hallway broken into last night

    Posted: 13 Nov 2020 01:20 PM PST

    Last night, someone got into our building, and crowbarred open a lot of the storage rooms in our hallway. They tried mine too, but didn't make it in for whatever reason. I feel like I won the lottery, because I keep expensive sports equipment in there.

    I've been thinking of putting some security on that door, either a camera or an alarm, preferably something that would alert my phone! Now this has become a priority.

    The only trouble is that although there is a light in that room, there are no power outlets. Is there something simple that runs on batteries that would alert my phone when the door is opened? Preferably something that I could choose to sound a loud alarm from my phone if I'm not in the building?

    submitted by /u/BlueKnightBrownHorse
    [link] [comments]

    Clearing Bypass on a Vista 20P

    Posted: 13 Nov 2020 07:34 PM PST

    Hi everyone,

    I had some weird behavior that I wondered if someone might give me some advice on.

    Last night, our system was not armed, but in the middle of the night, the alarm on the control panel went off. After I entered the code, it turned off, but then showed a fault in one of my zones (a kitchen window). I went to check out the window but didn't notice anything. Additionally, when opening and closing the window, the chime wasn't sounding.

    I decided to bypass that zone to get the system into a ready/armable state.

    Two questions:

    • How do I "unbypass" that zone?

    • What happened? Is it maybe that the sensor died?

    submitted by /u/IWTLEverything
    [link] [comments]

    Best outdoor camera system for simplicity of use/video quality? Are there comparable products to the Nest?

    Posted: 13 Nov 2020 06:10 PM PST

    Hello /r/homesecurity

    I am looking to install a security camera that can view about 50 feet away from our property. Ideally, it would capture video at night proficiently as well.

    The easier the configuration/setup the better. For this reason, was considering a Nest, as we could check footage easily via the internet. However, I was having problems finding comparable products. I know the Nest Outdoor is already three years old - it does not represent the best technology today.

    Also, we would love if there were a way to optically zoom in.

    We would not be able to set up a server, as it's going to technically be on our neighbors land.

    Many thanks!

    submitted by /u/enzoargosi
    [link] [comments]

    Do the original Simplisafe sensors work with the newest Simplisafe base station, or not?

    Posted: 13 Nov 2020 02:43 PM PST

    I've got an original Simplisafe system and I'm trying to decide if buying a new base tower makes any sense.

    I realized the specs for the newest base tower don't say anything about backwards-compatibility, so I went Googling and found this at the top of the FAQ page:

    Q:"Do SimpliSafe Original sensors work with the new SimpliSafe system?" - Ok, great! That's what I need to know. And here's the answer:

    A:"The new SimpliSafe system features a complete redesign of all of the sensors and are only compatible with the new system. We will continue to support and sell SimpliSafe Original sensors."

    I may be an idiot, but this doesn't seem like a clear answer to the question. Does this answer mean that only the new system sensors work with the newest base station, or does this mean "No, you can't use the original sensors with the newest base station"? They say "we" will continue to support the old sensors, but maybe that doesn't mean that they will make their new system compatible?

    If I can't use any of these old sensors if I buy a new base station, then I'll either stick with this old kit a while longer or jump ship to a different ecosystem that's more home automation friendly.

    If anyone can give me a clear "yes" or "no," preferably from experience, I'd appreciate it!

    submitted by /u/erikthereddest
    [link] [comments]

    Need help with Imou Life

    Posted: 13 Nov 2020 12:22 PM PST

    Hi, I recently installed Ranger 2 security camera from Imou and I installed there application I'm using SD card to store recordings. However I will be soon faceing a problem which is that I will be running low on storage and then I would need to to delete pervious useless recordings from last month but I can't finger out how to do that. I also don't want to buy cloud storage and I searched everywhere on there website regarding this issue please help. Any information would be highly appreciated!

    submitted by /u/Syed_Fakhir
    [link] [comments]

    House pre-wired for alarm, where do I start searching?

    Posted: 13 Nov 2020 12:18 PM PST

    BLUF:

    Hi all, looking for guidance on how to search for an alarm system for a pre-wired house with no pre-existing alarm. Looking for recommended storefronts that focus on this stuff, what I need to consider, any gotchas I should take into account, etc. Of course, I'll happily take recommendations on systems, but my goal here is to be an informed buyer and do my research, not a lazy one.

    House Setup:

    my house is pre-wired at all doors and windows for an alarm, with all the wires leading to a "drop" in the second floor (no panel, just all the wires lead there). There is no pre-existing alarm system as this is new construction. There are separate cat5e cables outdoors with a drop indoors as well that I plan on outfitting with a ReoLink POE system.

    Thanks all. Apologies in advance if I didn't follow the help thread appropriately, happy to reformat to fit the sub guidelines.

    submitted by /u/Dolfan058
    [link] [comments]

    Lost Item Finding Ai Camera

    Posted: 13 Nov 2020 08:17 AM PST

    Hello everyone,
    I would like some feedback on an idea of mine to create some kind of camera that can analyze its video via AI that can find weather or not a given object is within that video. I think this would be applicable to homes of other locations to find lost items. For example, if you lost your keys in or around your home, you could simply type keys into this app/site and it will show you all the instances where it saw keys, order from most recent to least recent. This would obviously require your home to be under video surveillance at all times. But I think it would be fairly easy to install a small camera into each room of your house. Many people who are into home security already have cameras, and would just need to install few more.
    The AI could also be used to identify and notify you about intruder, the fact that you left you stove on, the fact that you Grandma fell and cant get up, and a whole bunch of other potential uses. I know that this is all pretty vague, and of course there is the issue of privacy and the fact that people are uncomfortable with cameras, which is where encryption or other methods of protecting the footage of your daily life would be needed. I just think the idea of a home surveillance AI that you could use to find lost items or for other things would have potential. Similar things are already being used on a larger scale, in airports for example, where an AI sends an alarm message that a bag was left unattended, or in factories to keep track of things.
    I would really appreciate any feedback on this idea. If you think there would be a market etc.

    Thank you, I look foreword to your input!

    submitted by /u/wittle14
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment