• Breaking News

    Friday, October 30, 2020

    Home security: Homeless shelter moving in next door, need help with home camera system and possibly security system

    Home security: Homeless shelter moving in next door, need help with home camera system and possibly security system


    Homeless shelter moving in next door, need help with home camera system and possibly security system

    Posted: 29 Oct 2020 07:01 PM PDT

    We have never owned a home security system or camera system so this is all new to us. I have done a decent amount of google searching to look for reviews and such so I might throw out a product name or two but if you have an opinion (for or against) on said product, please let me know.

    What we are trying to protect against: Theft, trespassing and damage of property. The bare minimum we are looking for is a camera system in which we can monitor a few different locations. I'm also curious if along with that camera setup I should get a smart doorbell like the Arlo doorbell.

    I saw a reddit post that recommended a "NVR system with PoE cameras". That seems to fit what I need really well. The absolute bare minimum of what we need is HD wired cameras that record locally (cloud backup for a fee would be a nice option to have), that have motion detecting and alarm you based on that (accurately). Also having an app is basically a must.

    What would really be great is cameras that had sirens because when I think about deterring people (specifically the homeless) I think the most impactful thing when they're caught trespassing would be for lights to turn on (I'll get flood lights for that) and for the user to activate an outdoor siren. I don't think the homeless will be deterred much by a sign or a visible camera. But I'm not sure if the PoE cameras you guys would recommend most have that feature.

    What PoE and NVR system do you guys recommend most?

    Lastly, I am doing some side searching on home security systems. So far it seems like the best reviewed/highest recommended is the SimpliSafe which looks pretty cool. Do you guys agree with the opinion of the reviewers or is there another brand you like more?

    submitted by /u/M3rc_Nate
    [link] [comments]

    Someone keeps trying to open my apartment door in the middle of the night.

    Posted: 29 Oct 2020 05:37 AM PDT

    I live in an Ottawa apartment building, security cameras are only on the "main" floors so there's nothing watching my hallway or door on the 19th floor in a 20 story building.

    When my front door is fully closed/locked, and someone tries to open it while it's locked, it becomes unlatched and requires a small push to re-latch the door, basically giving me physical evidence when someone tries to open my locked door without re-latching it.

    Last week my girlfriend (we live together, alone) was awake around 5:30 in the morning and witnessed the door handle very slowly turn from the outside. She was very freaked out and when she finally looked through the peephole she saw nothing. I have since started leaving a pen lying along the length of my door handle all day/night, it only falls when the handle is turned from the outside. Yesterday morning AND this morning I found the pen on the floor and the door unlatched.

    My building administrators don't seem very concerned and have given me zero options to protect my home/family, in fact all they DID do was tell me I'm not allowed to record anything from the hallway.

    What do I do? I have no way of finding out who's trying to open my door, or why. I would like to be able to record my doorway/hallway to find out who it is, but I don't know what options are available, or if I can afford them. I'm tempted to go to the police but I have no solid evidence of anything, yet.

    This is seriously affecting my mental health and makes it extremely difficult to focus on anything else, especially all the schoolwork I have left to do. If anyone could share their opinions or insights all would be welcome and greatly appreciated!

    submitted by /u/PoliSciPlayer
    [link] [comments]

    Overwhelmed by all the home security options out there. Need some help. Ring? Qolsys? Honeywell?

    Posted: 29 Oct 2020 07:44 PM PDT

    I spent days looking up different home security options and was flooded with so many options and opinions. I've looked through reddit and found that many of the big names (ADT, simplisafe) were unpopular. I have no knowledge of home security but from what I've researched I've narrowed it down to: Ring (just for its simplicity's sake) vs. honeywell lyric/qolsys (and have someone help me install it). Does honeywell lyric/qolsys have specific cameras they can link to? Is it complicated to install? I am also hoping to somewhat make my home a smart home using alexa. Not sure if that would affect anything. I'm looking to have door sensors, maybe a few outdoor cameras, two indoor cameras, a security monitoring company for extra peace of mind. Also going to do all the other things to help with security like take down bushes near the home, have a security sign, a dog, lots of landscape lighting. Any advice will help!

    submitted by /u/youwonme48
    [link] [comments]

    Unmonitored ADT Safewatch Pro 3000 System Battery Issues

    Posted: 29 Oct 2020 01:23 PM PDT

    Sorry if this issue has been posted before.

    The short story is that we bought a house 3 years ago that came with this security system. We don't have it monitored and use it only for the chime notification when a window or door is opened.

    Keypad Closed

    Keypad Open

    Circuit Board

    For the past week or so, the keypad unit will sound an alarm at random times, often (inconveniently) in the middle of the night, waking us from a dead sleep. The alarm can be ceased by pressing 1 on the keypad.

    My preliminary investigation has led me to believe that this alarm is a notification indicating a dead backup battery. When I opened the main panel, I noticed significant corrosion on the negative (black) battery connector. Once I retrieved a replacement battery, I disconnected AC power and checked the keypad display to see if it anything changed. The "AC" power indication changed to "No AC", which I took to mean it was now relying on battery power (I guess there was still some juice left). However, once I cleaned the corroded connector/lead and replaced the battery, the keypad display did not come back to life. It was only once I restored AC power that the keypad display came back on.

    My question is this: Should I go about replacing the battery connectors (black and red wires)? If so, does anyone know where I can retrieve these? I'm hesitant to contact ADT since I'm not sure how much help they would be considering we're not paying for a monitoring subscription.

    I appreciate any help this community can provide.

    submitted by /u/Wiredawn
    [link] [comments]

    Outdoor Wireless Cameras (battery powered)

    Posted: 29 Oct 2020 01:09 PM PDT

    Recommendations for good battery powered wireless cameras that would be good for cold weather. Not looking to spend a fortune, it's for my parents house so just some peace if kind and maybe act as a deterrent (~200 CDN budget)

    submitted by /u/lebinott
    [link] [comments]

    No subscription camera

    Posted: 29 Oct 2020 01:01 PM PDT

    Hey everyone! As the title says, I am looking for a security camera that does not require any subscription. I really don't think I am asking for much but here is what I am specifically trying to get from it.

    Storage (even 24 hours would be nice)

    Mobile alerts

    Reliable / easy

    NO subscriptions

    This is just going to be a simple indoor camera. I just want my phone to let me know if motion is detected while I am at work. Camera can use wifi and be plugged in. I'm not a fan of battery powered devices but I am open to it. I would like to be able to save video if anything does happen, so maybe cloud storage in case the camera is taken.

    submitted by /u/dangercdv
    [link] [comments]

    Night Owl Security Help?

    Posted: 29 Oct 2020 03:31 AM PDT

    Got this security system a while back because my girl had a crazy ex boyfriend. Well I also have the app now to check on the house and my family while I'm at work, but every now and then, it will totally go offline and stop recording from like 9:30-10:00pm to like 4am. Is there an explanation for this or, god forbid, do you reckon my girlfriends up to no good? I find it odd it goes down right after I leave for work, and then turns on about an hour or two before I get home, thoughts or explanations for this?

    submitted by /u/xUB3RN00Bx
    [link] [comments]

    Electronic door lock recommendation

    Posted: 29 Oct 2020 07:02 AM PDT

    Hello community, this question isn't exactly home security, more commercial. I wondering if there is an electronic door lock/striker for commercial use (ability to be controlled by building management system) that can be unlocked by NFC on staff phones, plus PIN code for visitors.

    Case use: Staff unlock the building using NFC on their phones and visitors get sent a 6 random digit PIN, 30 mins prior to their booking which will allow access.

    There is a Building Management System integrated into a room booking system that turns on HVAC and lighting 30mins prior to room booking however we also require the person who booked the room to receive a txt message and email with a PIN code to unlock the door when they arrive

    Is there such a device? Also, this is in Australia but we can import if needed and allowed.

    TIA

    submitted by /u/MickeyBTSV
    [link] [comments]

    Is video recording an effective theft deterrent?

    Posted: 29 Oct 2020 10:05 AM PDT

    If the police can't identify the individual in the recording then video footage is not an effective deterrent, correct?

    submitted by /u/Querulousmew
    [link] [comments]

    Why does my Lorex 4k cameras have motion blur at night?

    Posted: 29 Oct 2020 09:33 AM PDT

    Within the past month I've purchased and installed this camera system (I have the 4 cameram system instead of 8) . https://www.lorextechnology.com/4k-ip-camera-system/4k-ultra-hd-ip-nvr-security-camera-system-with-6-ip-cameras/4KAI86-2-1-p . The camera images look great during the day but not so much at night as they leave a motion blur of a person walking, car, animal etc.. that is distorted and unrecognizable locally when viewing through my NVR unless the subject is within 10 feet or so of the camera. I do have lights outside so it's no where near total darkness.

    I have my system setup as 4k resolution with 15fps (max for 4k on this system) and 4050 bitrate on the main stream (does bitrate matter on main stream when viewing locally or is it just for if you want to view main stream remotely?). I've tried changing resolution down to 3mp and even 1080p but that does not help at all either.

    My sub stream i have setup with the lowest settings as my upload speed is poor. The weird thing is when I view them on my phone with low bitrates and resolution it appears to be some what better than on my monitor. My phone does have a 4k screen but my monitor is not 4k. If I had a 4k monitor would it greatly improve what I'm seeing or not?

    These cameras are rated to see 100+ feet in darkness. I'm not sure if these just are not good quality cameras for nighttime viewing, I need to adjust a setting (which I've played around with almost every setting) or if I should return this system before my 30 days is up and get something better?

    Any help and ideas is greatly appreciated. Thanks

    submitted by /u/Freddie1275
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment