• Breaking News

    Saturday, August 15, 2020

    Home security: Future home burglarized 3 times in less than a year. A lot of random trespassers coming into the front or backyard and taking over the space. How to secure land and challenge trespassers? Recommendations to quickly and cheaply make the space look inhabited and not a target.

    Home security: Future home burglarized 3 times in less than a year. A lot of random trespassers coming into the front or backyard and taking over the space. How to secure land and challenge trespassers? Recommendations to quickly and cheaply make the space look inhabited and not a target.


    Future home burglarized 3 times in less than a year. A lot of random trespassers coming into the front or backyard and taking over the space. How to secure land and challenge trespassers? Recommendations to quickly and cheaply make the space look inhabited and not a target.

    Posted: 15 Aug 2020 01:12 PM PDT

    Long story short, it's 1/3 acre of land with a tiny 800 sq ft home on it. Has front wall/metal fence and car gate, and chain fence around the rest of property. There are some weak points in the chain fence though. Belongs to family member, but the house has been left empty for several years. We have security system, and cameras, but people don't give a shit. Plan to install floodlights too. Home is a fixer upper type home (humble condition) and land is in bad condition with dead grass and dead plants around.

    The area is traditionally quiet, safe, and family oriented. My other family swing by the house to check on it and do some work around. However starting not long ago before COVID, a variety of people began trespassing. Young, mothers, teen guys, families, Karens, ect. They would walk their dogs, or try to rummage through the storage sheds, let their kids take over the yard, and even when someone was inside the house for a couple hours, Karens would be trying to get in.

    And when my relatives would tell them to leave, they would challenge you. If you were cordial, they'd come back and challenge you. However once my uncle got aggressive they left. Later last year our family friends smashed through the garage door and pillaged the place. In July a random burglar broke in through a window and took trivial items. And last night my Aunt found evidence there was another break in, I thought it was a Simplisafe false alarm, but the motion detector may have fallen after the door and wall was struck by a crowbar. And the sheds look like someone tried to pry them. No camera footage because outdoor kits for them have not arrived yet.

    When I move onto the property, it will still look terrible and look like no one lives there. Most people who break in through the back can't see or recognize there's a car parked there.

    Edit: Forgot to mention we already have a light timer in the house to turn on the lights and make it look occupied but no one gives a shit.

    submitted by /u/AsapEvaMadeMyChain
    [link] [comments]

    Where should I start? Looking for a wired Home Security System with about 6 Cameras.

    Posted: 15 Aug 2020 07:15 AM PDT

    Hello Everyone, just starting to do some research on a security system. I came here and I feel like I probably got myself into a lot of work if I want to do it right. Can anyone here help point me in the right direction? Budget is 1k.

    submitted by /u/SmoothFred
    [link] [comments]

    Outdoor camera recommendations

    Posted: 15 Aug 2020 09:46 AM PDT

    My home is equiped with a Somfy alarm in order to prevent any breaking & entering.

    I'm looking to add some outdoor cameras, no need to be the same brand.

    Ideally the solution has the following features.

    • 2 our 3 cameras
    • Battery operated
    • Wifi for transmitting live images on smartphone / tablet
    • SD slot for recording of images
      • overwrites when full
      • possible to download recordings on Dropbox / Google Drive / iCould / ...

    Do you have any advice or recommendations?

    submitted by /u/The-G-Master
    [link] [comments]

    Best bang for buck - security system (door and window sensors etc) or 1 camera

    Posted: 15 Aug 2020 07:47 AM PDT

    I live in a condo so my options are limited. There has been some more activity recently in my area and it's made me think about security now that I have 2 kids.

    I need something wireless as HOA won't approve me drilling holes.

    So I'm thinking either the ring security system to cover my windows and doors, could also be aft system but they cost more. Which is better?

    My other option is just a ring doorbell on my back gate as that leads to the carport or a camera outside my back door.

    The back is where there would be potential issues.

    I know the cons of system like ring but until I own a single family house that is my reality.

    What in this case is the best option to get first? I can't afford both right off the bat. I'm leaning just for the security system first I think.....

    submitted by /u/Waves619
    [link] [comments]

    Hidden camera in alarm clock or something similar

    Posted: 15 Aug 2020 11:20 AM PDT

    Looking for an alarm clock or similar inconspicuous device with an integrated 1080p camera that also provides recording at night. Something that can preferably be plugged into an outlet so batteries would not be necessary.

    Seen many of them online, simply looking for a model or brand that one of you has used in the past or are using currently.

    Thanks /r/homedefense :)

    submitted by /u/bigkids
    [link] [comments]

    Is bear spray effective?

    Posted: 14 Aug 2020 07:29 PM PDT

    I was thinking it might be good for defense if someone was trying to break in. Do you guys think it'd be effective? Are there any deadlier sprays?

    submitted by /u/Running6498
    [link] [comments]

    Looking for cheap home monitoring for my visonic

    Posted: 14 Aug 2020 10:42 PM PDT

    I have a visonic powermax pro + and my homeowners insurance is giving me $150 off per year if I get a monitored system.

    So if I can get something for under $150 its a win win (as long as the monitoring comapany adds value).

    Any thoughts?

    submitted by /u/speedway121
    [link] [comments]

    Do I need to waterproof outdoor cameras?

    Posted: 14 Aug 2020 09:47 PM PDT

    Couldn't find a good answer anywhere else so...

    I have holes (covered with blank face plates) with cat6 pre-wired in a bunch of locations outside my home. I bought a Amcrest to test things out and it turns out I can just remove the face plates and mount it directly to the side of the house without drilling. Ended up just plugging it in, pushed all the cables into the hole and everything worked.

    Question is... do I need to do anything extra to waterproof this setup? Was planning on just putting some sort of waterproof sealant where the camera touches the house siding, but not sure if there's better ways or if I even need to do that at all.

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/Yiruru
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment