• Breaking News

    Sunday, July 26, 2020

    Home Improvement: Humble brag. A previous owner of my 115 year old house... Actually did everything perfectly during a remodel in the 1970s and I finally hunted him down to thank him.

    Home Improvement: Humble brag. A previous owner of my 115 year old house... Actually did everything perfectly during a remodel in the 1970s and I finally hunted him down to thank him.


    Humble brag. A previous owner of my 115 year old house... Actually did everything perfectly during a remodel in the 1970s and I finally hunted him down to thank him.

    Posted: 26 Jul 2020 08:06 PM PDT

    We bought an old historic victorian and I was petrified about what we were going to uncover. We knew a Mr. Crofoot had done an extensive renovation in the mid 70s but no idea what.

    • Fireplace/chimney inspector told me when he walked in the door that he was not going to be able to recommend I ever burn a fire in a house this old. After his inspection he said to thank one of the previous owners because the flues were immaculate, one clay lined and the other stainless. Burn away he said.

    • He believes he insulated every wall. He was a little foggy on how he accomplished this 50 years ago. I have yet to find a wall that was not insulated and I've taken a FLIR gun to the house and there's no cold spots in the walls. He finished the attic, installed skylights, insulated the roof deck properly, put in it's own air handler, etc.

    • He had every square inch of original woodwork refinished (quarter sawn oak) and couldn't tell me what the finish is but remembers that it won't yellow or darken with age. 115 year old trim, and refinished 50 years ago, but looks brand new to this day.

    • Started looking for knob and tube when cleaning the basement and replacing some switch covers. Turns out all the electrical in all the walls was reran in armored/MC cable. Mr. Crofoot confirmed this. The family room doesn't have ground wire for some reason but every other room does.

    • The sellers agent was adamant I check for lead with a 1 year old so I was scared she knew something she wasn't willing to say outright. I tested the house and garage for lead in a dozen places but somehow never found a trace. Mr. Crofoot confirmed he had the exterior wood siding stripped to bare wood and the windows inside and out.

    • He used an old chimney as a chase for plumbing, electrical, and installed central air in an actually balanced manner. Access panels behind the bath tub. Copper piping only. Shutoffs where needed. The owners between him and I started to half ass this aspect and the basement became a cluster but his doing was great.

    • All the original windows open, close, and lock with ease. Every window has an exterior wooden storm that fits well and can tilt out in the summer.

    • The last straw was last week. I was looking through some rolled up wallpaper pieces left with the house (trying to figure out type of paper so I could wipe down) and one roll ended up being hand drawn blueprints Mr. Crofoot had done for the kitchen remodel. 50 years later the kitchen still is the same, looks timeless, and is beautiful. 5 pages of drawings including electrical, and even shows the dishwasher location back in 1974.

    This last week I went through the phone book and finally found him. He called me back and I finally got to thank him for doing an amazing job and got to ask him a few questions. Hope to have him and his wife by to visit the house for old times sake.

    submitted by /u/ReneRobert
    [link] [comments]

    Tip - don’t chip tile off the wall!

    Posted: 26 Jul 2020 06:11 AM PDT

    Any time I'm doing tile demo I get a kick thinking to the HGTV shows where they've got a pry at or chisel with a hammer trying to whack away at some wall tile. It hit me yesterday though, that homeowners will occasionally use these shows as example sometimes. I hope I can save at least one person some time.

    There is about a 10% chance that the tile will come off that wall and leave the wallboard behind it usable. This means we'll likely be removing the board too. Since that's the case, let's kill two birds with one stone.

    Smash through that tile/wallboard in a straight line until you can get a couple hand holds. I like to bust a line on both sides of one stud. From there, the goal is to pull the wallboard off the studs in larger pieces, with the tile still attached. I've pulled entire shower surrounds out in 4-5 pieces like this, cutting down on demo and cleanup significantly.

    I hope that this post is largely useless, as that means people already know this. If not, hopefully it can help a few folks out.

    submitted by /u/maskedfailure
    [link] [comments]

    Bought a house with deathtrap stairs up to loft that are not to code (Canada). Will be extremely difficult to get them up to code. What are my options?

    Posted: 26 Jul 2020 07:13 PM PDT

    As title says, current home-made stairs up to the loft are a broken neck waiting to happen. I want to replace them with something a lot safer but I think even then I'd still not be up to code. What are my options?

    Any work I'd have done by a contractor, would they only put in something that is up to code, what are the future implications for stairs not meeting code given that I just bought the house and the inspection didn't flag the current ones?

    submitted by /u/Farquea
    [link] [comments]

    What caused this melted siding?

    Posted: 26 Jul 2020 07:13 PM PDT

    https://imgur.com/FWzeYFN

    I thought it was just the heat from the water heater vent. But if so, why does the melting start so high up? That other stuff wasn't there so they trellis etc are not involved.

    any thoughts? thanks!

    submitted by /u/ruthplace
    [link] [comments]

    Can this door hardware be changed?

    Posted: 26 Jul 2020 08:01 PM PDT

    I moved into a house with an old front door with Schlage brass door hardware that I'd like to update to something modern.

    The handle borehole is in the shape of an oval.

    https://imgur.com/a/iH5lngM

    It's a 1.5" bore hole with 2.5" backset for the deadbolt.

    The handle lever fits into a 4 3/8" x 1.5" oval and a round notch below for the bottom part of handle.

    I've tried googling for "oval bore hole" and all sorts of guesses at what this type of door hardware is and have given up.

    I'd love to update with a modern Schlage handle set and dummy but the holes simply don't match. Any ideas about what I could do or if I can even order an updated replacement?

    Any help is appreciated.

    submitted by /u/No-Recognition-7819
    [link] [comments]

    Advice on refinishing kitchen cabinets

    Posted: 26 Jul 2020 07:47 PM PDT

    Hi guys, this is my first post on reddit, so I hope I'm doing it correctly. My brothers and I are planning on refinishing our kitchen cabinets and drawers to surprise our parents while they're out of town. We have about 5-6 days, and we're all hardworking young adults with spare time right now, so I think we can get it done. Here are pictures of what they look like currently: https://imgur.com/a/yuT7sRe We're planning on a light blue paint colour, and if my research is correct, we can get the antiqued\wood grain look by using a glaze after painting. Sounds like we need to sand them, do a coat of primer followed by paint, and then use a glaze. Is that the way to go? Any tips, advice, or cautionary tales? Thanks!

    submitted by /u/maplesyrupdeficiency
    [link] [comments]

    (Serious) Smelling smoke but there is no fire in house??

    Posted: 26 Jul 2020 09:47 PM PDT

    Tonight, we started smelling smoke but we do not see where it's coming from. We don't have gas in the house. It's a Smokey smell coming from the vents. My husband went up in the attic but nothing is wrong with anything up there that we can see.

    When you have a problem like this... who do you call?? I don't want to wait for the house to catch on fire. I want to get someone out here to check on this immediately. Safety is my first priority. Also, we recently completed a kitchen renovation. We also recently had our ac repaired by a company. The man was in the attic. He said it simply needed a tune up, so I don't think he did much besides adding liquids.

    Any advice appreciated.

    submitted by /u/christmasMom87
    [link] [comments]

    Is it possible to spray paint hardware cloth?

    Posted: 26 Jul 2020 09:44 PM PDT

    I'm building a cage for guinea pigs and I read that Rustolem Painter's Touch is safe for animal cages. I was wondering if it would be possible to paint metal hardware cloth I am using to built it. I wasn't sure if it would flake off from being somewhat flexible

    submitted by /u/canadiancitizeninfo
    [link] [comments]

    I want to learn but don't have any buddies to teach me

    Posted: 26 Jul 2020 10:25 AM PDT

    So I am a relatively new homeowner with aspiration to begin working on my house. I've been working on outdoor projects like retaining walls, flagstone porches, etc. first to really get the hang of long term projects but Im wrapping up the last of the outdoor projects and will be heading inside soon. I learned from youtube and a LOT of online research how to do the outdoor projects but I want some hands on experience and a little over sight before I dive into these.

    Here's my question: Given proper compensation for their time, do you think a professional would be willing to teach me how to do indoor projects correctly/show me the tricks that you don't see online?

    submitted by /u/nsowen88
    [link] [comments]

    Can I cut concrete pavers with a diamond tooth blade on a circular saw?

    Posted: 26 Jul 2020 09:39 PM PDT

    Thanks. I don't expect a lot of cuts since my layout is flexible.

    submitted by /u/Zappa-
    [link] [comments]

    Suggestions on how to make a 4 ft chain link fence private?

    Posted: 26 Jul 2020 07:24 PM PDT

    My (small) backyard has a chain link fence surrounding it.i would love to add some privacy, due to the fact that my neighbors can see directly into my yard. I would love to attach a privacy fence to the current fence if possible, the current chain link fence is 4ft tall and I'd prefer the finished fence to be about 5-6ft high. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I could accomplish this? I'd prefer it to be a privacy fence at least 5ft high. I'd greatly appreciate any advice or insight, thanks!

    submitted by /u/Kittensnotkids
    [link] [comments]

    Converted attic: to vent or not vent?

    Posted: 26 Jul 2020 07:15 PM PDT

    So, I'm in the process of redoing an attic conversion that had to be done in the 1950's, and there is no ventilation in place at all. Needless to say, it gets hot.

    I've seen the Raft-R-Mate and similar baffle products at the big box stores, as well as proper attic vents. I've read conflicting things on whether or not they are recommended in a converted attic, and just want to know if it's worthwhile to throw up before I put up insulation. Thanks!

    submitted by /u/AndyD421
    [link] [comments]

    Removed carpet, moisture penetrated hardwoods underneath. Need advice

    Posted: 26 Jul 2020 07:12 PM PDT

    Hi /r/homeimprovement,

    I recently purchased a small single. House is old, around 100 years old but in relatively good shape (but dated). Aprox 1100 sqft.

    There's a nasty brown carpet throughout the living spaces which I initially planned on pulling and replacing with laminate. I began the work on pulling the carpet tonight and was pleased to find that there are hardwoods underneath.

    It appears to me that the carpet and pad have been trapping moisture in it. I'm in the process of scraping the floors with a putty knife (is the floor scraper from Lowe's \ HD worth the investment?) to get a better idea of their condition.

    I've attached some pics. Im wondering if it's possible to save these and have them refinished by a pro, and roughly what I should expect to pay for something like this. I'm concerned about the moisture that was trapped in the wood. There are some spots as well that look like they'll need to be replaced.

    I also noticed some spots which had pieces of metal in the floor, almost like they were covering holes. Anyone have any idea what they could be?

    Thanks!!

    https://imgur.com/a/A0lcuMs

    submitted by /u/robbieobbiex88
    [link] [comments]

    Patching hole in drywall - my drywall patch is too thick. Anything I can do short of getting right thickness drywall?

    Posted: 26 Jul 2020 07:04 PM PDT

    So I needed to patch a section of drywall - cut the wall out 16" wide so it would sit on the studs on the left and right sides, and 30" high. Picked up some 1/2" drywall and cut to fit - my patch stands proud, and now realize it must be 3/8" drywall on the walls...

    My small town lumber yard doesn't have 3/8 in stock - nearest "big box" store is about an hour away. Any way I can make my patch work?

    I wish I didn't cut existing so the patch would sit on the stud, otherwise I could just "butterfly" patch it...

    submitted by /u/jdsmn21
    [link] [comments]

    Carpet squeaks how to fix easy?

    Posted: 26 Jul 2020 07:02 PM PDT

    What can I do to fix carpet squeaking?

    submitted by /u/david2descent
    [link] [comments]

    How can I best use the 9 days I have before moving into my new home?

    Posted: 26 Jul 2020 05:22 PM PDT

    Hi all!

    Just recently closed on a new home, and I'll have 9 free days to do whatever I want before we fully move in.

    Already on the docket are interior paint and (possibly) a whole home network system. That said, I'm really looking for those little insightful things that I might not be aware of. To be clear, not really looking for suggestions like "Change the locks and filters," but rather, ideas for things that should really be done prior to move in for one reason or another, or things that you just wish you'd done ahead of time.

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/FrontBike5
    [link] [comments]

    Gap on a Step on the Stairs to Second Floor

    Posted: 26 Jul 2020 06:55 PM PDT

    I have one step on the stairs to the second floor of the house where a gap between the wood panels seems to be getting worse since we bought the house 4 years ago. Is there anything I could do to not make this worse and end up breaking completely? Or will this require a professional to fix?

    Pictures: https://imgur.com/a/nznqYmX

    submitted by /u/sixpackremux
    [link] [comments]

    Do I need gutters on a 1 ft 11 inch overhang?

    Posted: 26 Jul 2020 06:30 PM PDT

    The front of my 1962 house has no water leakage, in basement, issues and is seemingly dry. It does not have gutters on the front, yet the inspector advised them.

    The front has a 1 ft 11 in (near 2ft) overhang, the front yard slightly slopes down (it is kind of a hill). There are stones under the overhang. I mean, someone thought of drainage, right?! I am thinking the overhang is sufficient, but would like other advice to confirm or deny this. Thank you!

    submitted by /u/Egoash
    [link] [comments]

    Can anyone identify this piece of hardware connecting wire shelves? I need to buy more and can't figure out what it is!

    Posted: 26 Jul 2020 08:11 PM PDT

    Does anyone know what this metal piece is (photo link below)? It's in a closet in my house but I cannot figure out what it is. It connects the support pole of the wire shelf (closet shelving unit made out of wire) to the shelves. I cannot find them anywhere online or in store but need to purchase more to repair the shelves. Photo of Piece I'm Trying to Identify

    submitted by /u/Kari216
    [link] [comments]

    How hard is it to remove a paver patio?

    Posted: 26 Jul 2020 05:57 PM PDT

    I'm trying to save money on putting in a paver patio by removing someone else's. Can two people remove a 120 sq. foot patio in two hours under the cover of darkness? I kid, this would be an exchange of labor for patio pavers.

    submitted by /u/shocka_locka
    [link] [comments]

    Problem with American Standard Homestead VorMax toilet

    Posted: 26 Jul 2020 07:53 PM PDT

    I am having issues with the American Standard Homestead VorMax toilet I bought from Lowe's and installed a week ago. The toilet has been fine when going #1 but when going #2 there is often dirty water or partial turds in the bowl after flushing. I made sure the water was adjusted to stop 1/4" from the overflow tube. I tried to make adjustments to the screw on the teeter bar so the right flapper touches the frame stop. The problem I am seeing is that metal piece with the foam weight is getting stuck and caught by the chain like half the time. Is that what is causing the toilet to not flush properly and dirty water or turds remain? Is this just a faulty toilet? I made a video in case my description was not clear - see the first comment.

    submitted by /u/fogelsong
    [link] [comments]

    Safe to apply new caulk over somewhat okay old caulk?

    Posted: 26 Jul 2020 04:06 PM PDT

    I'm repainting my house. I have wood siding with a lot of old caulk that's coming off. The caulk is in pretty good shape in some areas...like it's barely coming off. Is it safe to apply new caulk over the caulk in so-so shape, or do I need to scrape all of it off before applying the new?

    submitted by /u/anndrago
    [link] [comments]

    For those of you that LVP flooring upstairs, how would you rate the quality?

    Posted: 26 Jul 2020 07:42 PM PDT

    I have a 30 year old townhome and had carpet removed upstairs and Allure Grip Strip flooring put in. I don't think the guy I hired prepped the floor properly and I'm at a loss. It looks amazing but feels really bad in some spots.

    It feels spongy in some areas. Is LVP supposed to feel this way or did I just have a really shitty install job?

    submitted by /u/CuntyMcFagNuts18
    [link] [comments]

    Sound blockage

    Posted: 26 Jul 2020 07:34 PM PDT

    My bedroom has a hollow double door that doesn't get used, but on the other side is the living room where my roommates are often talking loudly and playing video games and the constant noise is driving me out of my mind. I'm considering some options to block the sound, but naturally I want to do whatever's most effective while not breaking the bank. What would be best to put over the doors? A bunch of 4x4s? Corkboard? Sheetrock?

    submitted by /u/Snoo_328
    [link] [comments]

    Tiles and open shelves on a plaster wall- looking for advice.

    Posted: 26 Jul 2020 07:30 PM PDT

    Just bought my first house (!) and my dad is helping me out with my projects because my knowledge of all things home improvement is embarrassingly low. The biggest project we are taking on is tiling the kitchen wall and then mounting open shelves on top of the tile/backer board/plaster. I'm just looking for anyone who might have some advice for us before we start!Equipment, product recommendation, common errors, etc. TIA.

    submitted by /u/cfearless
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment