• Breaking News

    Friday, March 13, 2020

    Home security: Over a quarter of doorbell cam owners surveyed report having contacted the police over something caught on their camera

    Home security: Over a quarter of doorbell cam owners surveyed report having contacted the police over something caught on their camera


    Over a quarter of doorbell cam owners surveyed report having contacted the police over something caught on their camera

    Posted: 13 Mar 2020 08:37 AM PDT

    Motion sensor camera for some idiots climbing my fire escape needed.

    Posted: 13 Mar 2020 04:28 PM PDT

    Hi guys

    I am having some trouble with people climbing up the fire escape ladder of my building up to my balcony and I would like to install a camera in order to record them and get my landlord to do something about it.

    The camera will be placed outside, but in a well covered area. As I have to get out on my balcony and then through a security door, I will need a wireless cam. The area is about 10 by 10 ft and in one corner, the ladder comes up, which is where I want to point it at in order to record any movement, mostly happening at night. I will just need evidence that something is moving and footage, but no 24/7, so a motion sensor to start the recording and a push notification to my phone via app or whatever is essential.

    I have looked all over the sub for recommendations, but noticed that for most recommendations there are many reviews, too, stating that motion sensors don't work properly or just record a fraction of the movement. Also, triggering while the sun throws shades or nothing really happens seems to be a problem, as it drains the batteries of the wireless cams.

    So what would you guys recommend? Budget is around 100$ as I would rather pay for something reliable and functioning.

    submitted by /u/ifdocsayitsarap
    [link] [comments]

    IP Camera recommendations when you cant install cameras low?

    Posted: 13 Mar 2020 02:23 PM PDT

    IP Camera recommendations when you cant install cameras low?

    Hi, Just purchased a new 2 story house from inventory that is stucco on the outside front and side and brick on the side and back. I have had multiple people come out and give me quotes and because of the outside setup and very high ceilings. All of them have said they cannot install cameras at the 8-12 height needed to be able to get a good view without really drilling into the stucco. There is no attic directly above the garage. I even talked to the electrician that did the whole house wiring for the builder and he also said that it would have the be up on the roof of a double story home. The other option would be to drill a huge hole in the stucco and feed the wire in for a front door facing camera. The problem is that that would void the stucco warranty immediately which is something I cannot risk. I do have a ring pro ( It came with the house) but do not like the quality. On first glance it looks like there is an over hang over the windows but there is really no direct access without either cutting up the wall from inside or drilling on the outside. They are basically cosmetic or without access from the attic.

    Currently plan was - Blue Iris PC - with around 6-8 cameras with varifocal lense. Dahua 2mp from the recommended lists in the ipcamtalk wiki. A PTZ camera with motion tracking in the back corner to capture all of the back.

    I am open to suggestions on something with a decent zoom.

    My requirements are -

    Front of house - Garage - See visitors / joggers that cross the front yard. Its a standard home lot size and nothing out of the ordinary. There is a lot of construction people walking around at all times and want to be able to monitor remotely.

    Door - To recognize faces. ( without breaking into the stucco)

    Both Sides of the house - For activity at night.

    Back Door/ Patio - here I think I can get a camera facing the back door that is at 10 feet.

    Large Back yard with a brick back wall. - I am thinking of adding a PTZ camera on the corner on a metal pole dug in to the ground to monitor the whole back yard with a buried cable.

    I appreciate all the help.

    https://preview.redd.it/t7nadbryaim41.png?width=1600&format=png&auto=webp&s=c47c4a2254699036ecc5aaa1073f5dbe77877ec4

    submitted by /u/djknashouston
    [link] [comments]

    Request: securing an egress window well

    Posted: 13 Mar 2020 01:23 PM PDT

    Looking for ideas on how best to secure a window well without restricting egress during an emergency. The metal grate on top unfortunately is not hinged/secured onto the window well but instead simply sits on top of it. It is very solid though and would be impossible to bend without some additional tools and a lot of attention.

    What I am thinking is some sort of cable/chain that connects a low rung of the ladder to both directly straight up and then also to the center/close to house of the metal lid. This would prevent the lid from being lifted or slid away from the window well.

    My dilemma is that I don't want to slow down any egress during an actual emergency. How could I secure this cable/chain while still being able to be removed or otherwise disconnected easily? A keyed or combo lock is out of the question. I'm thinking of linch pin that has a pull cord attached that would pull free easily and allow the metal lid to push up from the inside.

    I don't want to block the light coming in either. Otherwise this would be much easier to make happen.

    submitted by /u/e42343
    [link] [comments]

    Basic tutorial to reclaim proprietary IP cameras that usually come with an NVR system (so that you can use them with ZoneMinder or other IP camera software)

    Posted: 12 Mar 2020 06:37 PM PDT

    Thanks to some helpful comments here and some other helpful people I was able to reclaim my Night owl IP cameras that I wrote in another post. I wanted to make a new separate post with my process in case it is helpful to other users.

    Tools:

    1. Linux (or OS of your choice)
    2. ZoneMinder (or ONVIF / IP camera software of your choice)
    3. Wireshark
    4. nmap
    5. patience

    Process:

    1. Set up a linux machine as your camera server. I used Ubuntu and ZoneMinder. Ensure ZoneMinder is properly configured and running.
    2. Connect the machine to the same switch that the PoE camera will be on
    3. Connect the PoE camera to the switch and ensure it is being delivered power
    4. Manually define your linux machine's Network settings with the following:
      1. IP address: 10.10.0.1
      2. Subnet: 255.255.0.0
      3. Gateway: (IP to your router if you want this machine to be connected to the internet)
      4. DNS: I left this blank
    5. Restart your machine
    6. At this point you could probably go into ZoneMinder->add monitor->click ONVIF->see camera->follow wizard. If you can't, or want to explore more keep going:
    7. Open Wireshark and start listening to all traffic (may be helpful to unplug your modem and other devices from your switch / router to cut down on noise)
    8. Watch for network traffic from source 10.10.25.*** (for me the first camera I connected was 10.10.25.155 so I will use that IP for the remainder of the example).
    9. Usually the 10.10.25.*** IP will send an ARP broadcast calling for 10.10.0.1
    10. 10.10.0.1 is supposed to be the NVR. We don't have an NVR. We have our linux machine. That's why we set the linux machine IP to 10.10.0.1
    11. So then the ARP call will probably be resolved and the camera will be told your linux machine's mac address
    12. In terminal: nmap 10.10.25.155
    13. Boom: in my case it shows that there are a bunch of open ports accepting different protocols including 80 for HTTP, 21 for FTP, 23 for telnet, 554 for rtsp (which is the stream), and 8800 for sunwebadmin (??)
    14. At this point you could ftp into the camera to explore what is there (I found some old snapshots from the previous owner - oops)
    15. I tried visiting the camera with my browser; I got an "install the plugin" message with a link to a dmg file hosted on the camera itself.
    16. I tried to telnet into the camera but couldn't figure out the username and password (tips would be appreciated)
    17. Eventually I went to ZoneMinder and just added the camera with the ONVIF wizard! It was super easy at that point.

    Notes: your cameras might not come from 10.10 at all.... Whatever IP they Do come from, that's the IP format you need to mimic when you configure your server.

    submitted by /u/psychpsychpsychpsy
    [link] [comments]

    2 car break-ins in 3 months, recommendations?

    Posted: 13 Mar 2020 12:13 PM PDT

    Recently i have had my second vehicle break-in in 3 months. We leave nothing valuable in our cars, but the invasion itself is enough to cause us stress. They appear to be happening around 2-3am. I do not have motion lights or cameras anywhere in my house. I am looking for recommendations on what security improvements i should make to deter, and if not then at least identify, would be thieves.

    TIA

    submitted by /u/DieTheVillain
    [link] [comments]

    Need secure Wi-Fi camera to watch baby when I'm in garage

    Posted: 13 Mar 2020 10:33 AM PDT

    Hi all, I need to do a project in the garage but our standard baby monitor shows "Out of range" when I'm in the garage, and we don't have Wi-Fi in the garage either. So, I need a Wi-Fi camera to keep an eye on the baby that's secure (with 2FA?) that I can watch via my mobile phone using 4G. I would prefer it if it doesn't record to the cloud. Need to be reasonably priced too.

    Many thanks in advance!

    Edit: someone in another sub suggested using a home VPN connection, and I remembered I had an insecure IP camera that's blocked from the internet, I would use the VPN to connect to that. Job done. Thanks all!

    submitted by /u/Eddles999
    [link] [comments]

    Need help in choosing a camera solution

    Posted: 13 Mar 2020 06:47 AM PDT

    Hello /r/homedefense,

    I hope this is the right sub to ask this kind of question.

    At home we'd like to do a new setup with around 5 CCTV camera's, for now only indoor.

    I have the following requirements:

    - Have an app with some sort of dashboard to view and scroll through footage.

    - Motion sensing stuff

    - Around 4 or 5 HD cameras with a decent quality and framerate as details are very important in the use case.

    - PoE compatible camera's as it saves me from getting 2 cables to every camera. I already own a PoE compatible switch.

    - Local storage for around a week of footage, internet is not really an option because of the really slow upload speeds (~10mbit/s), which is unfortunately not upgradeable.

    - Ability to expand even more in the future.

    - Long term support, don't want to throw away everything in a few years.

    - ~1000€ / $1100 budget, if i can do it in less, would also be nice.

    - Ability connect to a home security solution (optional)

    I thought about getting a basic ZoneMinder server with a set of compatible IP cams, but maybe there are really better options out there. Also I don't really know where to look at as there are so many options.

    I hope you guys can help me out, every idea/suggestion is really welcome!

    submitted by /u/kaasballetje
    [link] [comments]

    Noob here looking for something that records to the cloud?

    Posted: 13 Mar 2020 06:13 AM PDT

    I would like to install a few security cameras that would automatically record to the cloud. Not JUST when it detects motion but all the time, even if it was just 24 or 48 hours at a time. If I notice something is out of place, I want to be able to log into a website and rewind until I find what happened.

    I'm not completely opposed to having a hard drive or memory card set up but that doesn't seem as convenient.

    Also, if someone was to see the camera and pull the battery out, unplug it, break it, or steal it, I want to see what happened up until that point and if it isn't recorded in the cloud then they'd probably just steal the hard drive unit.

    I'm looking at the Blink and Ring cameras but I am not sure if they are what I'm looking for?

    Basically, 24/7 continuously recording regardless if there is motion or not is what I am looking for.

    submitted by /u/BlueCosmo5050
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment