• Breaking News

    Tuesday, September 22, 2020

    Home security: Interested in becoming a moderator?

    Home security: Interested in becoming a moderator?


    Interested in becoming a moderator?

    Posted: 22 Sep 2020 01:47 AM PDT

    To apply:

    1. Post a comment below. Include a brief summary on why you'd like to be a mod and what improvements you think you can bring to this community.
    2. If you work for a home security company or other home security related business you might not be selected, but still feel free to apply.
    3. You must be an upstanding member of Reddit. I will review your comment and post history for other subreddits.
    4. Your Reddit account must be older than six months and you must have at least have some activity in this subreddit.

    Comments about applicants would be very welcome. If you feel someone would fill the role well please say so! If you think they wouldn't I'd like to know that to, but please be polite about it.

    Please note: there is no guarantee that I will pick someone. If I don't think there are any good candidates I'll just try again some other time. I'll allow a week or two for people to apply then start the decision making process.

    submitted by /u/gh5046
    [link] [comments]

    What to do with footage of fatal accident

    Posted: 21 Sep 2020 06:29 PM PDT

    I'm not sure if this is the right sub but let me know if there's a better place for this.

    Over the weekend there was a fatal car accident at the intersection where I live. A motorcycle was involved and unfortunately passed away. I have the footage captured on my home security system and it is very clear what happened. I already shared a copy with the investigating officers because they kind of pushed their way into my living room when I opened the door and I didn't have much time to think about it. Since then I've had multiple other people stop by claiming to be extended family and ask for a copy. I don't want to seem like a dick but I don't really want to share the footage with random people if it will come back to bite me in some way. I am happy to share the footage with the immediate family of the biker but I also don't want to bother them during this sensitive time.

    What is normal in this situation and is there ever any harm in sharing this kind of video footage? I understand it may be helpful for closure but I don't want to screw myself in some way.

    submitted by /u/slowteggy
    [link] [comments]

    Qolsys panel worth it?

    Posted: 21 Sep 2020 08:55 PM PDT

    I'm ready to ditch my ADT TSSC/pulse panel and switch to a new monitoring company. I've read a lot of good reviews on the IQ 2+ but is the $370 price point worth it (I'd need the 345mhz version)? Is there a cheaper alternative if I won't use much of the home automation stuff with it since I have WiFi devices and not z wave? I've debated Ring as well but would like to reuse my existing Honeywell sensors and Ring doesn't have glass break or shock sensors.

    submitted by /u/DTK101
    [link] [comments]

    How to mitigate sketchy activity in parking lot next door?

    Posted: 21 Sep 2020 11:33 AM PDT

    I have a laundromat next door to my house, and while I'm totally fine with the normal traffic in the day, it seems to be a drug marketplace/sketchy hangout at night.

    The business closes at 8pm, is it within my legal rights to get a motion detecting light to blast the lot after that time of night? It will not interfere with any other neighbors, there are only residences directly across from my front door, and I'm planning to put the light on the side of my house facing the lot.

    submitted by /u/hmmcn
    [link] [comments]

    Looking for input on computer vision camera startup.

    Posted: 21 Sep 2020 07:43 PM PDT

    I've spent the past year and a half prototyping and designing a linux-based home camera system. My project is unique in that it can do computer-vision processing without relying on the cloud thanks to a built-in tensorflow ASIC. Much time been spent on the interface, with a GUI to configure and change between it's various detection capabilities. It also has a feature-packed SDK for writing plugins.

    Detection modes include object detection, facial recognition, motion detection, and pose detection. All of these features work without an internet connection. Updates can be downloaded remotely via wi-fi. This is working in our latest prototype which I hope to divulge soon.

    I'm curious what features/requests you guys have in regards to useful features. What could I include in this project that would make it more useful to you?

    What is your favorite feature of your current security system? What is your biggest gripe with it?

    submitted by /u/jppdan
    [link] [comments]

    Suggestions for PowerG purchases

    Posted: 21 Sep 2020 07:03 AM PDT

    I recently installed a Surety system and am very happy with it. I'm now looking to add a number of sensors, several of which Surety doesn't sell.

    I've found a dozen places selling them but wondered which you prefer.

    Also, are there any sensors that you feel are underused but very good? Thinking beyond the normal door switch/PIR/glass break.

    If parts reseller recommendations are prohibited, please let me know.

    submitted by /u/Malapple
    [link] [comments]

    What's the go to security camera system?

    Posted: 21 Sep 2020 03:57 AM PDT

    Looking to get some cameras for my house, probably only really need 2. What's the best out there?

    submitted by /u/Jardolam_
    [link] [comments]

    I want to do a DIY system with either Ring(Amazon) or Nest(Google). Both have similar features but I’m not able to figure out which one I should go with..... Details below

    Posted: 21 Sep 2020 10:34 AM PDT

    I want 1. a door bell + keypad + 2 way comm 2. Outdoor cameras with flood light + siren sound 3. Door/window detectors 4. Smart hub that I can I interact with phone 5. Garage opener (other vendor that I can integrate) 6. Low cost monitoring option (not a deal breaker) 7. CO and fire detectors (I am okay with using different vendors )

    Is it too much to ask for either of these systems ?

    submitted by /u/memyselfandi1987
    [link] [comments]

    whats the next step down from ubiquiti?

    Posted: 21 Sep 2020 08:33 AM PDT

    I don't have Ubiquiti money (or really know-how). we have people come through our neighborhood at dusk and after dark and check vehicles and take things left out. obv first solution is lock vehicles and don't leave stuff out, but we've caught a number of people on our 1080 samsung system who are testing the garage and who have reportedly stolen from other neighbors.

    I want a 12-16 camera system poe NVR. the ubiquity looks amazing but I just don't have the money. I feel like I could do 6 4k cameras with other 4-5 supplemental 1080 or 2k. I want ease of use and reliable app. I don't care as much about false motion detects as I won't really be using this as a real-time alarm. more of a black box and/or check when I want thing. dusk/night performance is most important since that seems to be continually where the need it.

    Lorex? amcrest? what can I get into for $1k-1200 that gives me enough cameras to cover my needs?

    submitted by /u/atomicskier76
    [link] [comments]

    A question regarding the placement of IR illuminator for my security cams

    Posted: 21 Sep 2020 06:52 AM PDT

    Best cameras in harsh winters?

    Posted: 21 Sep 2020 06:40 AM PDT

    Can get to -40 degrees easy here, lots of snow and wind. Looking for an offline setup, I'm a noob, but something wireless, that detects motion and starts recording into an SD card until motion stops, day or night. Is that what they call a loop system? any feedback is appreciated thx

    submitted by /u/PoeOfPoe
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment