• Breaking News

    Tuesday, July 28, 2020

    Home security: To catch a thief

    Home security: To catch a thief


    To catch a thief

    Posted: 28 Jul 2020 08:49 AM PDT

    Thought I'd share a quick anecdote. We've had some thefts in the neighborhoods around a lake I live adjacent to where someone has gone into cars and garages. Multiple houses are hit in a given night. People were posting online about it but no one had any information other than date/estimated time. I looked at my own cameras but saw nothing terribly out of the ordinary. A few cars drove by. One car juked kinda funny at one point but meh, they could have sneezed.

    A few days later, someone posted video they caught of the suspect going through their car. The video was useless in that you could only make out that he had tattoos and distinctive clothes. They also saw taillights at one point that appeared to be a Dodge of some model. Well wouldn't you know it, the car I saw juke was also a Dodge. And I have an ALPR camera.

    A short time later having turned over the license plate to the police, their investigator emails me and tells me that the registered owner is not the suspect but they found a citation issued to another driver in that car about 6 months ago who is now their suspect. I don't have much detail other than that and it doesn't seem there were any thefts in my own neighborhood but sure enough, we have a solid lead.

    All because 1) this guy decided to drive through my neighborhood on a lark and 2) this guy decided to do this in a neighborhood where people can buy really nice cameras.

    He may have covered his face but those tattoos will be his downfall.

    TL;DR My ALPR appears to have helped solve a case of thefts from surrounding neighborhoods because the guy was foolish and drove around randomly before leaving. Neighbors working together are the most powerful police.

    submitted by /u/SnooWonder
    [link] [comments]

    Want outdoor home security camera solution? Should I go POE or WiFi? Which is better and cheaper: Cloud or local storage?

    Posted: 28 Jul 2020 04:01 AM PDT

    Hi everyone, my first post here so apologies if not abiding by any rules.

    I'm from North India and my max budget is around 15-20k INR (~240 USD) for at least 3 cameras (4 preferred btw). I have shortlisted some products from Reolink and they have both POE and Wireless solutions. Phone App viewing is a must-have requirement of ours and at least 3 cameras required. Frontyard is 20 feet away from main entrance where the cameras are to be installed. I wanna go wireless as it would save a lot of installation and operational hassles but I'm just worried about the WiFi range and uninterrupted communication. Else I'll go POE. Please help me get the best solution for my home.

    submitted by /u/NavdeepSinghThind
    [link] [comments]

    Unifi Cloud Key second hand?

    Posted: 28 Jul 2020 01:41 PM PDT

    Someone locally is selling a cloud key sealed in the box for half the normal price.

    I have no reason to believe it, but it crossed my mind- if it's stolen is it the type of thing that can be bricked?

    submitted by /u/JuliusTEvola
    [link] [comments]

    Which high resolution PoE outdoor cameras does everyone recommend?

    Posted: 28 Jul 2020 11:36 AM PDT

    I'm looking to upgrade from my outdoor PoE IP cameras. I don't want wireless IP cameras. I'm already wired, and I don't have power outlets outside. Price isn't a huge issue, but I don't want to spend over $500 per camera either. Ideally something that works with Google Home would be nice but not a hard requirement. Any good recommendations?

    submitted by /u/hellonoonehere
    [link] [comments]

    Door security key chain needed

    Posted: 28 Jul 2020 06:56 AM PDT

    Hi all,

    Any help would be greatly appreciated, my GFs grandad got home from shopping the other day and he sometimes keeps the door open to let air in (it isn't visible from the road) the two people said they were from the gas company, he only has electricity in his house... they picked up his money from the side and ran. Can anyone recommend having a chain to stop people being able to walk in or get in when he opens the door. We have advised him to keep it shut

    submitted by /u/CloudPink
    [link] [comments]

    Moved into a house with an existing security system

    Posted: 27 Jul 2020 04:42 PM PDT

    Hey there,

    As the title states we recently moved into a house with 2 Honeywell security panels, one in the master bedroom and another by the garage door. I've never owned a security system so I'm extremely new to this, but how can I start using this? I've seen tutorials in resetting the code and installers code but I don't really know what that means or what I should be resetting.

    Judging by sign and stickers on the window the previous owner had Guardian, do we need a subscription with them or can we use it without them?

    Anything else I should know or you wish you had know when you were in my shoes?

    Thanks in advance!

    submitted by /u/NotBacon
    [link] [comments]

    Installing Blue Iris on a LTS NVR?

    Posted: 28 Jul 2020 12:14 AM PDT

    Hey all ~

    My grandfather passed away recently and gave his home to my mom. She then gave it to me (so I'd finally get out of her hair).

    So he had some security cameras installed. They are LTS branded. Not sure if this is a good or a bad brand. All I see here are Hikvision and Dahua so I'm going to assume that LTS is a bad brand.

    Two things:

    1. I read that you either use Blue Iris, or you might as well not use security cameras. I am not technical whatsoever. But I'm willing to try. Is it possible to install Blue Iris on a LTS NVR system? Should I even do this? Or is the LTS NVR system still good?
    2. Should I replace the LTS cameras with a brand I see a lot on here such as Dahua or Hikvision? I don't know the model, but I do know it's over 1080p and has color night vision. Nothing wrong with them at all, but if Hikvision and Dahua are better, I'm willing to swap them out.
    submitted by /u/WritingAppropriate77
    [link] [comments]

    Camera without internet access

    Posted: 28 Jul 2020 08:20 AM PDT

    My friend has a neighbor doing some very un-neighborly things and would like to set up a camera on his shed. Unfortunately he doesn't have internet in his shop and it would be tricky getting it there. Hoping to offer him a solution to possibly use a raspberry pi setup in his garage directly to a camera. Has anyone done anything like this before?

    I have some Amcrest cameras and I know they have options to record to an SD card, so my thought it setup the camera to always stream to the raspberry pi, and then also setup motion detection to take pictures/video. I haven't used the SD card myself, but I would assume you could view them without having to remove the SD card?

    Any other thoughts or suggestions appreciated. Not looking to spend a ton of money. I figured a $60 camera, $35 raspberry pie, and I have an extra monitor/keyboard/mouse he could use, so all said and done around $100.

    submitted by /u/ghc86
    [link] [comments]

    Motion detecting cameras and deer

    Posted: 28 Jul 2020 06:37 AM PDT

    Are there any cameras that can effectively detect humans only? Even at night?

    I tried setting up some eufyCam 2Cs but I'm getting 8-10 notifications per night due to deer wandering through our yard. Turns out our yard is like deer main street. Dozens of them come through most nights.

    Are motion detecting cameras feasible in this situation?

    submitted by /u/ItsBugsy
    [link] [comments]

    Peep hole camera

    Posted: 27 Jul 2020 09:00 PM PDT

    I am looking for a peep hole camera that blends in with the other peep holes in our apartment complex. Ideally one that doesn't look like a camera at all. Any suggestions for really discreet cameras? We are trying to catch a neighbor who keeps throwing his cigarette butts in front of our door, spitting on our door, and splashing his coffee on our door.

    submitted by /u/myke113
    [link] [comments]

    Sensor in door? Not sure what all these do?

    Posted: 28 Jul 2020 12:19 AM PDT

    Got some packages stolen. Looking into getting a security cam.

    Posted: 27 Jul 2020 06:09 PM PDT

    My parents got their packages stolen today along with their medicine delivered by Walgreens.

    Anyway I want to set up a security camera on their front door. No outdoor plugs soca wireless option would be better.

    Does anyone have any good experiences with Ring doorbells?

    submitted by /u/sonder02
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment