• Breaking News

    Tuesday, July 28, 2020

    Home security: Security camera without WiFi, that stores locally

    Home security: Security camera without WiFi, that stores locally


    Security camera without WiFi, that stores locally

    Posted: 27 Jul 2020 08:10 PM PDT

    Seems like all the popular security cameras these days are connected to the internet and use the cloud in some sort of way. I'd like to avoid any possibility of footage getting hacked/stolen (paranoid). I plan on having this camera set up facing a gun cabinet in my room. I would like the footage to be saved locally to a microSD card that I can unplug if my stuff ever gets messed with and check the footage. Does anyone have any suggestions?

    submitted by /u/BigglyJohnson
    [link] [comments]

    Best SUBSCRIPTION-FREE outdoor WIRED and WIRELESS Security Camera

    Posted: 27 Jul 2020 08:00 PM PDT

    1. Outdoor camera (4 seasons)
    2. Subscription free
    3. Wired
    4. Wireless
    submitted by /u/TerribleTaleTeller
    [link] [comments]

    RCA Doorbell Camera (HSDB2A), will it work on the home intranet even if it's blocked from the internet?

    Posted: 27 Jul 2020 05:13 PM PDT

    I'm interested in getting the RCA HSDB2A Doorbell Camera. It connects to the home's wireless network and you can interact with it through the RCA app.

    I don't want this device to have access to the internet - and I don't care about connecting to it when I'm not home. Does anyone know if the app will route through the home wifi/intranet to connect to the doorbell? Or will the doorbell only work if it has access to RCA and the internet?

    I'm particularly concerned because the instructions seem to indicate setting up an account with RCA is a required step.

    submitted by /u/grandzooby
    [link] [comments]

    Removing GE Concord 4 Security System

    Posted: 27 Jul 2020 04:14 PM PDT

    I just moved in to a new house a few weeks ago and I noticed some defunct GE Concord 4 components still attached around different places. Is there a link or a how-to on removing all of these? Or will the better option be just call an electrician to deal with all the removal of wires and components? It just looks clunky and the previous owner didn't bother removing them before they left. Thanks!

    submitted by /u/ThatBoyGotSomeMeat
    [link] [comments]

    Do systems like Abode and Simplisafe require cellular for self monitoring?

    Posted: 27 Jul 2020 02:51 PM PDT

    My home has no cellular service except for sprint. I'd like to have self-monitoring alarm notifications for when I'm home and not home. Do these services require cellular to send me these notifications? Or do they work 100% via internet? I'm planning to have a backup UPS system for power, so assuming my internet doesn't go out during a power outage, that should cover me for most situations.

    submitted by /u/SampsonRustic
    [link] [comments]

    Security Camera Setup for my Parent's House

    Posted: 27 Jul 2020 10:59 AM PDT

    Hi All,

    My parents have recently moved into a new home and want to set up security cameras around the house so that they can keep an eye on things. I'd like to help them on this front as they're getting older (not as technologically literate) & should enjoy their time off. However, I'm also new to this front so I'm currently looking to get more information on this topic.

    I'm currently looking for at least the following:

    • Wired, PoE, NVR
    • Can back up to the cloud
    • Has a battery backup (Ie. An uninterruptible power supply in case a cable breaks or the power goes out).
    • Has a wire-free backup system in case a wire breaks (Ie. Can keep uploading videos without the Ethernet cable in case an Ethernet cable is cut).
    • Would like to avoid NVR built around proprietary PoE and video encoding compliant products (Ie. Would like video encoding to have ONVIF Profile S Version 2.x)
    • At least 8 cameras

    Optional, but would be nice to have:

    • Heat & motion sensor
    • Domed

    Price is not a concern. Any suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks so much in advance.

    Also, as a side question - if I were to use PoE and the Internet goes out, would the cameras still be powered and collect video?

    submitted by /u/randomperson360
    [link] [comments]

    Advice for short term home security system

    Posted: 27 Jul 2020 12:31 PM PDT

    Hi there,

    To make a long story short, we inherited our fathers house and are renting it out. We have about 15 days between when our current system expires and the renters move in that we want security for - any low cost ideas?

    We already called the company and asked if we could extend 15 days, and they said we couldn't unless we locked into another year long contract.

    submitted by /u/aryastark124
    [link] [comments]

    Home with pre-installed ADT equipment - can it be reused?

    Posted: 27 Jul 2020 11:17 AM PDT

    Salutations all! We recently purchased a home that came with pre-installed ADT security equipment. As far as I know, there is a keypad, 14 window sensors, 4 door sensors, a glass shatter sensor, and 3 motion sensors. Equipment is no more than two years old, per the prior owner. With so much equipment, in all the right places, it would be a shame to lose them all. So we are wondering if there is any way to "reprogram" the keypad to be able to take advantage of it all.

    Currently, the keypad does beep as each window or door is opened. We would like to be able to arm it and have it sound should someone break in, knowing no signal would actually go out to law enforcement. Unfortunately, we don't know what the prior owners passcode is.

    The easiest way would be to sign with ADT at $63.99 a month which also includes 3 camera's but being locked into a contract for 24 months is not appealing.

    Any and all help is appreciated :-)

    Here is the information I have:

    SCW9057-433 residential fire and burglary controller 2G/3G ready Model: SCW9057G-433

    submitted by /u/Ho_su_eh
    [link] [comments]

    Help: New Home with Honeywell Alarm

    Posted: 27 Jul 2020 05:02 AM PDT

    Hello, I recently purchased a new home that came with a Honeywell Alarm. From what I can tell, it's a Vista15. When I bought the home the central panel was unplugged. It also looks like this is connected to a honeywell thermostat for my heating and air (When it the central panel is not plugged in the Thermostat reads "Connection Failure").

    I have no experience with Security alarms and have no guide or code that game with this. Is there a good resource or contractors that will help set this up? I'm not entirely keen on paying for a monitoring service, but didn't know if that is the only option to have this set up with continued use.

    I've looked at a few videos online, but so far nothing has worked in my situation. In fact everything I attempt seems to set the alarm off.

    Alarm Panel reads: d1 - "not ready" at start up, once moved to a 'ready' reads bf.

    submitted by /u/istillscarekids
    [link] [comments]

    DIY security advice for new home

    Posted: 27 Jul 2020 07:09 AM PDT

    Hello all,

    I know this is a very common question here, so I apologize in advance. I also apologize for the potential length of this post. I bought a new home last year in a low-sodium crime suburban neighborhood, and I currently am subscribed to xfinity home security, as they had a bundle deal when I signed up. They are not the best but not awful, and I have recently run into a hiccup when it comes to upgrading my internet plan. Since its bundled, it makes it difficult to move to any other plan without cancelling the service.

    Which brings me here. I have been looking to get a DIY system for a while, but have put it off because of convenience. I'd like to have a few (4-5) exterior cameras, maybe one or 2 interior, and I was thinking of putting some motion sense lights as well. Now, i am not considering any wireless system, as i am pretty paranoid about my personal privacy and stuff like that (queue the tinfoil hat jokes). I want to know if it makes sense to go through this effort to place cameras and sensors etc. In order to save the ~30$/month going into my security. As it stands, the security only monitors window and door sensors, which should be easy to replicate for a DIY situation.

    Now that that's out of the way, I wanted to know from personal experience what kind of costs come along with having a diy system. How often are you having to pay out of pocket for repairs, maintenance, upgrades, etc? Also, I am considering doing the install myself, but am having someone come quote it as well. I dont want to take any chances with security, and am worried that self install could lead to some sloppy mistakes due to ne not being in the industry and overlooking simple things. What experience do you all have with self-installation of wired cameras?

    Finally, I was hoping to get some recommendations on the hardware. I have seen hikvision highly promoted, among others, for cameras. This said, I havent really seen any recommendations for stuff such as door and window sensors. As well as this, I wanted to see if most people opt for a dedicated dvr /camera bundle like I see in some places online, or if most of you purchase these items piece by piece and run a DVR/NVR on a retrofitted system. I am not super interested in live alert monitoring, but I would like to have remote access to my system, and possibly alerts sent to my phone. Please excuse me as I put my tinfoil hat on again and ask what kind of risks I might have to be worried about with remote access etc.

    Again, I apologize for the wordy post, just very new to all of this and would like some answers to the questions i couldn't find. Thank you all

    submitted by /u/BlueishTsunami
    [link] [comments]

    ADT Command Panel camera

    Posted: 27 Jul 2020 03:00 AM PDT

    My sister just moved into a house that has the ADT Command Panel installed. She's wondering what the functionality of the panel camera is. Does it function like all the motion indoor security cameras that record when there is motion, or is it just for live viewing/2way communication or snap shots? She's trying to figure out if she'll need another camera in the mud room, or if the panel camera acts as one.

    Inb4 DONT USE ADT!: Despite me telling her of ADT horror stories, she's thinking about going with them. And there's no talking her out of something she's already set her mind on.

    submitted by /u/gorillacux
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment